Help with multilayered model

Hi!

I’m still very fresh to Shapr3D. I’m using the latest beta on macOS.

I want to build a model similar to a log cabin. I’ve managed to sort of do it, but the odd layers don’t react when changing the dimensions of the even layers, and vice versa.

Here’s a screenshot of what I mean. In the end, I should have 10 of those “layers”.

How can I achieve this with parametric modeling?

Thanks!

Welcome on board! It’d help a lot if you could share the design exported as a .shapr file, we could take a look and check out what’s going on.

Without fully understanding your parametric structure my hunch would be that the sketch for the even layer (probably “Sketch 03” for you?) is independent from the first layer (“Sketch 01”?) apart from its plane. One way you can create a connection is to constrain the sketch items on the second sketch to the intersecting or projected edges from the original bodies. (Note that right now using Offset Edge does not do that – you need to create the constraints manually.) You can learn more about constraints here.

Unless you do some weird tricks with sketches and constraints, with history-based parametric modeling you need to make a decision about which parameter should be the driving one when creating the connection between multiple bodies. The driving one would be the one specified earlier in the history tree, and that’d define the dimensions in the items further down in the history.

Let me know if it makes sense!

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into your suggestions and see if I can fix it with the guidance.

I’ve tried attaching my file, but it says new users can’t upload files.

Sorry for the hassle, we had to be pretty draconian with the configuration to make sure spambots don’t overrun this place. If it allows that, could you send it to me I a direct message or to peter.gyongyosi@shapr3d.com via email?