How to do complex, multipart design with shapr3d

I see lots of example designs of engines with multiple interconnected parts and pipe/tubing stringing around and it looks lovely… only I don’t know how this can be done realistically with Shapr3d. I don’t see a real hierarchy of parts, I don’t see how to take 3D “components” and really move them in relation to other components other than by eye, I don’t see a way to edit a sketch and have the model projected/extruded from that sketch change without deleting the entire extrusion/etc… Is there a video or few that goes through one of these more complex designs and shows how we can use this rather expensive tool to do real, parametric MCAD? or even stepping back, and a video or few that shows how to create a complex 3D part, and make parametric changes to something early on in the process and show the result changing without having to delete a bunch of things first?

I really like Shapr3d but I’m waffling on pulling the trigger on an annual subscription and investing a lot of time around a tool that I have yet to see how to do real, complex MCAD work inside of.

I think this comment is really relevant, it would be great to see a very complex model of an engine or similar modular model with complex curves, etc. built in real time with the use of the existing tool sets. The absence of complex array tools makes many of these models seem like they must have been imported, or very time intensive to make.

There are lots of YouTube videos of fairly complex designs.

How complex of an example do you want? A jet engine? Soyuz rocket?

It might help to specify a minimally complex design case…

Best,

Tommy

Hi Tommyn

How about this as an example, including the internal workings? Doesn’t have to be this unit, but of this complexity.

https://free3d.com/3d-model/car-engine-6118.html

It’s not just “complex”; it’s dimensioned (parametric), multi-part, interconnected and probably most importantly, editable without breaking constraints (eg make a washer thicker, adjust diameter of a shaft, etc.). For $240/yr I’d like to see how this great tool can be used for real parametric modelling and design work. The U joint tutorial is a great start but isn’t really parametric, the bracket is fantastic for parametric tutorials, although it doesn’t show how (is possible) to go back and adjust the parameters on the sketches without losing all the extrusion/chamfer work… I think you get the idea.

I think that you might have to adjust your mindset, as Shapr3D is a direct modeler and not a parametric modeler. It would help if you provided specific examples and then the community might be able to help. Thanks for your understanding.

Best,

Tommy

The advantage of Shapr3d is not parametric modeling, but the use of a more direct interaction, that is, a user experience like painting, which is more comfortable. The mobile terminal has a hardware disadvantage compared to the PC terminal. This is not directly related to the ability of parametric modeling.

1 Like

我上传了一下相当复杂的设计给shapr3d,或许过几天你就能看到。他说的参数化是指进行制造和装配,shapr的尺寸精度是没有问题的,在公差的配合,不同零件装配方面确实是有劣势,但是一般这些零件装配工作是要在Pc端进行而且需要一定的制造基础来实现。并不能完全依靠移动端ipad。