Help with slanted extrusion needed

I do 2D drawings of eyeglasses and then extrude to a thickness of about 1 1/2 to 2 mm. I am trying to figure out how I can extrude them where it is taller on one edge than the other so that the extrusion is slanted similar to what you see in these eyeglasses. I can’t figure it out and I’m hoping someone can help me.

I’ve even tried using the chamfer/fillet function after its extruded but with no success.

Hello @Debcherk,
This kind of frame is a combination of two shapes. If you remove a drafted cylinder from a hexagon-based extrusion, you’ll get a similar result:

1 Like

Any tips on the steps needed to achieve that? I don’t know what a drafted cylinder is.

Btw my base 2D drawings are always started from a duplicate because it took me a long time to get them created with the correct measurements for each frame. So the lens hole will already exist if that the cylinder you are referring to.

I need to know how to get my extrusion to happen at a slant.

You can revolve it instead of extruding just like in the video. Is there anything you miss from it?

I did a variation of what @KPeter did. Instead of subtracting a tapered or drafted cylinder, I subtracted a lofted body. The lofted body was a combination of an octagon and a circle. The proportions may not be exact but it gives an idea of constructing the final shape.

4 Likes

I think I have a lot less experience than a lot of you guys do. That’s a fun video to watch but I have no idea what you’re doing to achieve it. :joy:

Don’t get discouraged. We were all there at one time or another. In my example I used an octagon as the basic shape where I see your picture is more of a hexagon but with the left-right ends cut off (more like a slightly distorted octagon).

What you are trying to achieve is somewhat of a complex shape. Many try to construct by thinking extrusion is the way to do it. A shape like yours where you have a combination of circles and polygons suggest doing it another way. I found the best way, as @KPeter initially stated, that it is a combination of two shapes where you need to remove one from the other. Here’s an extended video for your info.

3 Likes

Thanks Mike. It looks like that technique I might not work for me because I don’t create my shapes from scratch anymore. They have very precise measurements so I just duplicate them and alter the shape.

I may be able to figure out how to use the existing shape by watching your video a few more times though.

1 Like