How to (not) extrude 90° from a slope?

So I drew a sketch on a slope that I need to extrude, but naturally it extrudes perpendicular to the angle of the slope. Is there a simple way of getting it to extrude perpendicular to another plane? Or am I going about it the wrong way with the sketch on slope method? I’ve marked the screenshot with the direction I would like it to extrude.

Thanks everyone

You can use sweep and select the edge on the right as the direction. You’ll just have to subtract the shape that’s created.

2 Likes

Worked a treat! thanks so much

Hi Tom,

You can’t change the basic extrude angle. But you can get your desired result without too much work. Here is one way of doing it. Project your sketch to the bottom face (the one you want to have the extrude perpendicular to), then extrude it. Change the extrude type from subtract to union or new body.

2 Likes

Hi Bob, I think I might have to go with this way because although I thought the above solution @APDesignMachine mentioned worked great, it has extruded underneath too

Will your method work because inside that sloped section is actually hollow, it has a shell of around 2mm

In that case, make the extrusion a New Body. Then use the sloped surface as the tool to split the new body, and delete the piece that is left inside your hollow.

1 Like

Hi,

maybe you could use the loft tool?

2 Likes

Looks promising but it was all a bit too fast for me to follow. Did you use projection tool there also?

Hi
Yes I projected the first sketch to an horizontal surface to create the second sketch.
First click in the blue shape
Second click on the horizontal surface on the left
Third click on project tool

1 Like

Ah I didn’t know you could project off another face like that. So good! It worked a treat thanks

2 Likes

Great solution!

1 Like

If it goes underneath (dunno why but I can’t see the file), you can just select the face underneath, the one you want it to match to and use replace face.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help guys, @Bob3DPO you’re always a legend. All the solutions would’ve got me there in the end but @PEC’s was the most elegant. Appreciate you all