How to do a negative off of an IGS file

Ford company gave away to anyone a way to make your own concoction accessories for the Ford Fits built into certain vehicles. so basically it is a module that slides into the space in the locations of the fits system on the vehicle.

They don’t give us the tab but the panels examples and what people are doing is creating a negative somehow in Fusion or other cad programs, I am new to shaper and made a few things but this will be a challenge to me…

So a someone if there is a way to make the little tab that fits into the slot with Shapr3D? I attached a few pictures for examples of what i am talking about, including the IGS file Shapr3D loads it up…not sure if it helps.

FITS_DIY_CAD_CONSOLE.igs (2.5 MB)

Have a block of solid body (even a simple, big cube could do) in the final shape you want to have, and cut out the model you have using subtract tool. :wink:

Don’t forget to leave some tolerance when 3D printing.

Can you give me an example of how to do that in a video? this has slants even…and I not well versed yet…i learn well by seeing the steps. especially with shaper3d as i am new to cad

I downloaded your project file and tried to subtract, but I’m getting an error message.

I gave up on that file, but this clip shows what I was trying to do. Subtract the slot from the part you want to fit into it.

Center-Console-CAD-data.zip (6.3 MB)

maybe try this file, maybe shapr3d does not accept .igs files…?

No good. I can select the part normally, but not when I’m in Subtract mode.

Both STEP and IGES files are supported by Shapr3D, the problem here is these are surface models. They do not have a valid thickness so it is not possible to apply booleans on them.

Replace face and split body are the tools that can be used with surfaces, but both work with single surfaces. The entire polysurface cannot be selected within one command.

1 Like

I wonder how everyone else were able to use them then? these were the free files released by Ford themselves as CAD files.

Is this American how do it get euro cad?