How to do this feature without having surface features

I have been working on recreating a Ryobi radio that has a lot of curved surfaces where features need to intersect but have been struggling with and just accepting the outcome even if it does not match the true part. Just wondering if some one might have some suggestions on how to extrude a sketch up to a curved surface (not Project) that will be cut away. I think if Shapr3D want to compete with the big cad software’s if will definitely need to add the ability to create surface features.

Thank you

Use my favorite tool…Replace Face.
Do you want to extrude towards the surface, or, away from?
Another approach is to create a body and bury it in the area you want to work on (extrude). Then use Subtract.

Something like this. This approach can also be used to extrude a body outward from the destination surface instead of inward as seen below.

3 Likes

Mike how would you do the same feature with the replace face command. And the picture might be a little misleading because the lower surface is actually supposed to match the top arc portion which shows flat but should have a arc surface. But if I was able to make a offset surface (not extrude) I could have used the offset surface to cut to. Thank for you help I did not think of using the subtract command I have been used to using Creo/Proe for 25 years so it takes a little bit of different thinking when using Shapr3D (which I like very much) and by the way Creo finally added in Creo 7.0 the Boolean commands to their software which is great.

Thank you

Not sure if this is what you want to do. I used Replace face at the start however I could have extruded into the body and do a Subtract which would have given the same result.

3 Likes

Mike that is exactly what I was looking for I never thought of doing the feature that way. Now I know who to go to for help.

Thanks again

You are most welcome. Here’s a little tidbit using Move-Rotate on a face. Here I left the anchor points at default. They can be moved around to suit before doing a move or rotate.

3 Likes