How to measure an ellipse in 2D Drawings

Is it possible to measure the dimensions of an ellipse in the 2D drawing mode ? I am trying to add the dimensions but it seems nothing of any dimensions features is working… Do I miss something or is this not possible at all ? See enclosed photo below ?
ellipse

Hi

I don’t think there is an easy solution to your problem, I had the same issue some time ago.

The root cause is the ellipse is a single line without edge, so there is no point to attach a measurement.

The only workaround I know is to create an additional shape with 1/4 of the ellipse cut hole under the body, so it is not visible on the top view but creates anchor points to place measurement.

I think ellipse measurement should be added to 2D drawing :grin:

Best
PEC

Hello,

Thanks for your advice. However this is really confusing. If you can’t measure it you can’t manage it. The radius of an ellipse is also mentioned in the Sketching modus, so why is this in Shaper3d not possible to measure it in the 2D drawing modus? Besides it’s also not possible to measure the distance between the ellipses and even not to the border of the body. See photo below. Is this really a technical difficult problem to solve for the Shapr3d team ?

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your feedback. Dimensioning an ellipse in 2D Drawings currently is not implemented. I can’t commit to a deadline when it will be possible, but the request is noted by our team. We receive many valuable requests to improve on our Drawing capabilities and as we are investing in these currently we are very exited to hear any feedback.

As a workaround I can suggest the following. To define the position of your ellipses you can create point-to-point and point-to-line distances using the center points of the ellipses. The share the size information you can add a note.

2 Likes

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. It’s great to hear you will implement this in near future. That will be very helpful. Maybe you will be able to add a point on the ellipse (Co-vertex and vertex, see below image) so that the point-to-point distance of your 2D Drawings dimensions feature will be possible. But I guess it will more complicated to realize this. For now I will try your suggested options.
Ellipse points