Large 3D printed planter for the Ikea KOLBJÖRN

This was quite a fun little project! We needed somewhere to put our herbs and smaller veg and we had a lot of wasted space on our Ikea Kolbjorn Cabinet.

So a few hours in Shapr3D on my iPad, 1.5 rolls of ABS filament, 5 hours of printing per part that really maximised my Voron build plate (total of 30 hours printing on a 0.6mm Nozzle), a lot of heat set inserts to screw the parts together and poof! The perfect planter for all our herbs… although we might need a 2nd one :sweat_smile:

The design features some side drainage in case of extremely wet soil, how well this works is yet to be confirmed but so far the herbs are happy, so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Why is it called the ‘Elmo’, well our favourite planter brand is Elho so it’s a nice play on words and not related to Sesame Street, sorry Elmo… :frowning:

This project wouldn’t have been possible without Shapr3D on iPad. For spur-of-the-moment solutions, I find having the intuitive use of the Apple Pencil key to get my idea out of my head quickly into something real! So keep doing what you’re doing Shapr3D :smiley:

Enjoy and let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

Renders

Building the Elmo

Finished Project

11 Likes