Mesh cannot be aligned?

Il created a mold from a imported stl, doing a substraction.
I created a cubic block in shapr3d then I substracted the stl file from it.
It seems that since this operation the block created with shapr3d turned into a mesk and is unusable for operation like align.
Is there a workaround?

Hello @ecreatures,
The Align tool requires specific surface types (conical, circular, single planar rectangle/circle) or continuous edges of BREP models to match the geometries. Mesh files as a result of the polygonal structure do not have these details, so they cannot be used as input for the Align tool.

Models created in Shapr3D have to be converted to meshes if they are used in a Boolean tool with a mesh, mostly because of the difference above.

I’d suggest aligning them before the boolean. You can also create reference sketches of the original body before the boolean and move the mesh later using the sketches as pivots created before the mesh conversion.

I hope this is addressed sometime, although it would require a mesh-to-BREP conversion function to be implemented first.

1 Like

OK. For what I understand, using a stl in an operation with native elements from shapr3d turns the resulting elements in « unalignable » mesh.
Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind for further creations and try to apply your advice.
Thanks

Depending on the complexity of the STL, you might be able to convert to STEP here:

It won’t be pretty (curves are approximated by triangles), but you might be able to use it to select a face, split, align, measure, etc.

Thanks for the information. Il my case, designing a hydrofoil wing mold, I need to stick to the stl design as close as possible. I understand that importing a stl is definitly a bad practise for now. I need to change this part of my workflow while bookmarking this converter info