Move function and the directions/axis

Hi,

Upon selecting move function with auto-orientation on, previously tilted items that are selected will have movable axis oriented from the selected object’s perspective.

And yet, when the item(s) are selected from the items menu, the movable axis shows as x/y/z axis of the workspace.

Selecting items from the items menu is easier for selecting bodies that are hidden/obstructed, or selecting multiple parts of a movable assembly.

Would you consider making auto-orientation work the same way whether it is selected directly or through the items menu?

Anyone?
Is this a bug or is there a reason for it being as is?

This is a bug, thanks for the feedback. We will fix it soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit: I was wrong, this is by design.

Istvan,

I question if this a bug or not. Here’s a quick test I performed.
Step 1. Select a face, then select Transform (Move-Rotate-Scale). The orientation for movement is in the XYZ direction.

Step 2. Select Transform (Move-Rotate-Scale) FIRST, then select the same face. The orientation is now relative to that angled face.

Going back to step 1 after you get the XYZ orientation, if you slightly move the Transform position (purple dot), the orientation changes relative to the angle face (provided the dot is somewhere on the face and not on an adjoining edge).

So, the order of selection determines the initial Transform orientation.

-Mike

Thank you for the clarification.

To reduce confusion, wouldn’t it be easier to have the ‘auto-orientation’ switch decide how the axis are formed? - when on, always to the object first being selected, when off, always following the xyz axis.

In which case, Auto-orientation might have to be called something else, but would make it simpler and clearer to use, as one doesn’t have to always remember in which order items need to be selected.