Moving bodies and sketches

What would you say is the correct workflow when creating a project with numerous bodies being created then needing to move those bodies up from the ground plane. should everything be selected including sketches because if the bodies are selected and moved up the sketches would remain at the original location. Which I am not sure if that would affect anything later in the project. (See picture attached)

Thank you

Others might chime in with different opinions, I think it totally depends on your workflow, both approaches could work.

I strongly prefer to drive not only the shape and size, but the location of my objects via sketches as well and constraint those sketches to world planes or the origin. Following that method the logical step would be to move the original sketches – or, more precisely, the shapes (fillings) that you used to generate the subsequent bodies. This allows for a very close control, but can indeed be somewhat restrictive and less intuitive.

But you could just as well decouple creating & positioning the objects and move the bodies that have been created separately from the sketches. The main drawback is that, as it’s visible on your screenshot as well, the sketches become detached from the bodies, making it more difficult to understand where the different dimensions belong.

One thing to note is that the location of sketches do define the original location of the bodies created from them – if you move the sketch itself, that’ll move the bodies created from it as well. It won’t matter if you used Align or Translate bound to different geometries later on to position your bodies, but if you just manually moved them, you’ll see the difference.