New to this, can I make this shape in Sharp3d without losing my hair?

Skärmbild 2023-09-25 013417

Hi all,
I am quite new to this, trying to do this gun shield the red part how can I make this shape?
The red part s from a .stl file I bought, but I want to make my own and make it more historically accurate.

Thankful for any help,
Kris

It looks fairly straightforward. Is there somewhere (maybe wherever you bought the STL) that we can see/rotate the full 3d model?

Thx for taking the time to respond :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is where I bought the file:

I need to change the shape a little bit on my version to make it more historically accurate.

The gun barrel is no problem, but the organic shapes is making it hard for me :smile:

Hmm, that doesn’t seem to offer a fullly-navigable 3d view, but it still helps. That looks pretty straightforward to build, but will take some work. Pretty much all of the more organic shapes look like just larger shape booleans with some fillets at the intersections for the bigger rounded corners.

That said, looking at other models of the sturmtiger, the actual shape does seem to be a bit more sweeping and less spherical.

I’m not sure what’s more accurate. Blueprints I’ve found give the barrel shield a more concave shape:

The War Thunder gun shield is more accurate than the blueprint.

Thank you so much for helping out :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a rough approach. The proportions aren’t accurate but it’s kind of close and shows conceptually how it can be modeled. After getting to the final model, I did a series of Undo’s. The video is a series of Redo’s which is why it looks the way it does.

2 Likes

Thank you so much TigerMike,
That was very helpful, I will try to make that :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

All the best,
Kris

You’re welcome. I realize my video is somewhat choppy. Let me know if you need any clarification. Also note that I initially missed the straight sides as my model was constructed mostly from a cone. I might consider modeling it a bit differently in order to make the straight sides. Other aspects of the approach can work for you. Perhaps others can offer a better method. Good luck.