How to create a pilot stick/joystick?

I want to draw and 3D-print a pilot stick, which looks like this:

I sketched a rough outline:

But how do I get a body out of this asymmetrical drawing? I tried rotating, sweep etc. but nothing succeded. I am grateful for all tips! :smiley:

BR Robin

I think the best way must be to draw ceveral circles and use loft finktion

1 Like

Not necessarily circles but cross-sectional shapes. You’ll have to create multiple planes for the shapes.

How many shapes or planes are necessary? A 90 degree shape rotated on the main axis or more?

Here is a very different approach. Note that I’m not trying to copy or emulate the handle design as you show in the picture. I’m merely sharing a way to manipulate a geometric shape into a more organic shape that can become a handle. I’m single stepping thru some steps to show how I made it.

Here are the steps-

Revolve a shape
Use non-uniform scale to make it an oval body
Use Move-Rotate to skew the body to the left
Project a sketch above the top, scale it larger and move it over a bit
Loft then Union then add fillet radii

This is meant to give you food for thought.

6 Likes

Hi Mike
Your way looks good for me :smiley:. I’ll try this as shown.
Maybe there are some other ways? I look forward to learning some new things.
BR Robin

1 Like

Yeah, it was meant to be a start and give you some ideas. Similar things be done to the bottom of the handle, and the top can be reworked to be more like you picture. Keep us informed and good luck!

3 Likes

Do check out this tutorial we’ve uploaded recently to YouTube:

It expands on the same basic approach of drawing cross-sections and connecting them via loft operations that @Jonas and @TheBum suggested above to create a similar shape and also explains how the new features of the parametric beta can be beneficial here.

1 Like

Got it! It’s not perfect but okay for me. Thanks to Peter and all the others for their advice.

6 Likes

Nice job. Looks great!
I just saw the shampoo bottle video. I will have to get on board with the parametric version once it is officially released.

1 Like

I always hope that shapr3D can break through the surface modeling like rhinoceros software, and once it breaks through, it will give rhinoceros software a blow. The reason is very simple. Mobile can complete the creative demand of modeling anytime and anywhere. But rhinoceros software developers don’t understand the powerful relationship.

1 Like