Newbie, Not Sure Why Tutorial Step Not Working

Trying to learn Shapr using various tutorials-- things were going fine until I got about 8:31 into this tutorial:

The narrator says to select the (hinge) body and copy it; When I do exactly what he does,—click on the diagonal bracket part of the hinge–I only get a copy of that part of the bracket, not the entire hinge like he does in the video. It’s like the separate bodies that make up the hinge are not combined.

In the tutorial, however, there’s no step where he ‘joins’ the separate hinge parts together. I’ve watched it a half dozen times and can’t figure out what I’m missing.

Hi @Bad_at_Cad ,

I think there was a little sleight of hand… When he says “select the body” it looks like his cursor is over the part, but then it “magically” is over in the Items panel where he clicks on the name of the body.

You should be able to double-click the body to select it as well, but make sure you are double-clicking on the body, not a sketch on the body. In this example, the cylindrical portion of that hinge, not the flat face.

Thank you for the reply!

I saw that, but the issue is, for some reason, even following his earlier steps, my ‘hinge’ still has three separate bodies that make up the shape, whereas in the tutorial, “body 04” somehow represents the entire hinge:

You could always make one single body out of the three using the Union tool, but Move/Rotate works just as well if you have multiple bodies selected and you can move them together easily.

Hi, Wanting_to_get_better_at_Cad, :wink:
Peter is right, you could first Union the 3 bodies. However, to follow the tutorial, I would suggest deleting all the Body 04, Body 05, and Body 06 (nine bodies in total) from your design, and do the extrude again.

Make sure you have 3 faces selected before you extrude. As they have common sketch lines, when you extrude you will get one body. (It looks like you did 3 separate extrudes which would give you the 3 bodies - 04, 05, and 06). After you extrude, make sure you have just one new body.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you both for the replies.

Bob3DPO, thanks for more positive screen name, Lol.

Unfortunately, I’m getting really frustrated with this thing–

The tutorial was done on the ‘old’ version of Shapr3d, is it possible there have been some functionl changes since then, and that’s why this isn’t working for me?

I actually originally did exactly what you suggested—selected all three faces of the hinge, hit extrude-- and yet it STILL gives me 3 separate bodies!

Just to be sure, I deleted the whole hinge, went back to the sketch, and did it again– clicking all three faces (diagonal base, outer ‘donut’, and ‘inner donut’)— they turned blue, and then using extrude I pulled them all out to the required thickness. BUT, in my sidebar they still show up as three separate bodies, and the same issue persists.

Peter_Gy-- I will try the Union tool to see if I get better results. . . but having to go this route makes me leery of attempting to follow other tutorials, since I feel like this kind of improvisation shouldn’t be needed at this stage.

Hi,
I can understand your frustration. When you select 3 adjoining faces and extrude, you will get one body; that is not something because of the older version in the tutorial.

Can you export your file in .shapr format and upload here? Or send to me directly at: lemming.rallies-0e@icloud.com

I’d be glad to try to find what we are not seeing.

Thank you so much for your continued assistance. This forum wont let new users like me upload, so I sent it to the link you provided.

Got it! I replied to your email… there is one extraneous line on the sketch that would result in a non-manifold body, so three bodies were created instead of one.