Options for Displaying Reference Objects, Sketches, or Images in a Non-Selectable Manner

Hello, Is there a way to display objects, sketches, or images as a reference, but make them non-selectable?

or example, I have the image of a blueprint, and on top of that, layers of redrawn areas. Above those, additional sketches. Then, objects on top of those. If I click even a pixel off, I end up selecting the bottom-most image and have to zoom out significantly until I find a free space… And this happens repeatedly.

The simplest solution may be to hide the elements so you cannot select them?

Since I suspect you want the image to remain visible as a reference, simply “hiding” it may not be ideal. Unless it has been added in the last year or so (I’m a pretty casual user), I don’t think the feature you want exists yet.

However, I agree that it is a very good idea, and I have a trick that works pretty well. I assume that you have a 2D image or blueprint, etc. that you need to redraw to get it into a useable CAD format. Just make sure the image is on a different (parallel) plane than your current sketch plane.

For example, if you are working from the “Top” view (XY plane), make sure “Top” is active, import your image, and draw a few lines to establish your “Sketch layer” (and maybe even rename it). Then, switch to 3D view and move the image Down a little bit (1 inch, 10mm, whatever) and then switch back to Top view. Any new lines you draw (or move) will be on the XY plane (“above” the image) and a single errant click will not ruin your day by selecting the background image.

However, it is still possible to accidentally select the background image (e.g. double click) – just not nearly as likely. But if it does happen, Shapr will “helpfully” move the active sketch plane to the new plane you just “picked”, so you will need to reselect the main XY plane as active. Probably quickest to just select/highlight the desired sketch layer in the “Items” list on the left.

I really think Shapr should implement “Visible but not selectable” like some other CAD programs, but until then, this is a decent workaround to trace/reproduce 2D images.

1 Like

Thank’s a lot. I am not a power user, and when I use it mostly in a stressful environment, and under time pressure. And I’ve been a bit clumsy.

I’ve now calmly tried out your suggestion, although my arrangement is already like that. Blueprint far below the actual construction. But otherwise, construction layers everywhere. It’s true, I can move all of these down. So, they are out of the way. However, as you wrote, a slight click off, and I’ve selected something else. But! Now, silly me, I’ve discovered the ‘deselect all’ button. This really makes handling much easier. Wow.

And yes: It would be a nice option. I am aware of this posibility to ‘make unselectable’ from another app. There, it’s a really helpful switch.