Tracing image without selecting image

Hi there

I’ve imported an image I want to trace a spline onto, but, when I trace it, I’m constantly selecting the image. Any ideas how I can make the image unselectable?

1 Like

Hi - it’s a less than ideal solution, but if you want to deselect ( I assume this is when you accidentally select the image) zoom out a little bit, and tap next to the picture.

We have some ideas on how to make this better, and we will work on it. Thanks for the report :slight_smile:

Hi Dan,
Yeah I can deselect ok, I just want to know how to ensure I don’t select. For eg the cyclist helmet demo on YouTube, splines are traced over the image, but the image doesn’t get selected.

1 Like

Actually, though I hate too say it, but I think it’s just a case of handling the splinetool/pencil correctly.

Did anything happen with this? 2020 talking. Can the image be made unselectable by then pen, perhaps until reset by some checkbox in the items pallet

This is an annoying problem. I’d like an option to make images “construction images” which makes them non selectable. Maybe place an icon next to the “eye” which makes them invisible/visible place a finger or a selection box type icon for example which makes them not selectable.

Hi Kevin,
did you try to move the picture (1mm for instance) just a hair behind the sketch-plane?
In my experience that helps not to select the picture during sketching.
Maybe that helps.
Generally a function to lock the picture is desirable to prevent from unwanted scaling or paning of the picture.
HTH
Cheers Matt

Image selection is disabled during sketching in orthogonal view. Double tap on the image or hover+space.

2 Likes

Doesn’t really help, I find myself clicking on it mostly when I’m trying to deselect (I know there’s a button for deselect but I’d rather just click open space) problem is the image is a masked png so even tho it looks like open space often I’m clicking on a 0 opacity part of the image. :man_shrugging:t2: