Performance Issues on Windows compared to iPad

Today I’ve sent a file into the Shapr team that is crashing whenever I try to open it. I’m waiting on a response (hasn’t been long) but I was curious if it’d work on my iPad, which it is. That got me thinking further because I’ve used a couple of slow files this morning.

The iPad has been a lot quicker on these files. This is surprising as I thought that my Windows laptop was a lot more powerful. Specs here:

Device Asus Zenbook Pro 16"
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-12900H 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
OS Windows 11
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop

My iPad is an M2 12.9" with 8gb of RAM.

Is there anything obvious that I’m missing here? Is my laptop a potato or do iPads just perform a lot better?

iPads are incredibly powerful, but performance issues are not necessarily directly related to CPU performance. For example the root cause of the performance issue can be in our UI code, which is completely different across platforms to provide a fully native experience on the platform. While performance issues sometimes can be attribuetd to hardware performance, that’s not always the case. Creating proper performance benchmarks between platforms is very hard. That being said, the latest M3 chip’s single core performance is better than the fastest compute instance’s on Amazon cloud, making a $1,000 Macbook Air faster than the most powerful cloud computing instance.

Is there anything that I can do to improve performance from my end?

I went to Windows last year as needed something better for rendering but it’s bit me in the bollocks ever since. I might jump back across to Apple in the near future.

I’m afraid only Microsoft could :slight_smile: Apple Silicon chips are insanely powerful and robust, unfortunately the Windows ecosystem is still stuck in the Intel world. I hope they’ll catch up soon.

I’ll have to see what your team come back with on my file that no longer works on Windows. This’ll be a nightmare if there’s more issues I’m not aware of yet. It’s the second file I’ve sent in within a few days.

Is it just a case that Shapr3D is more optimised for Apple than Windows then? Or does Windows just have more bullshit running in the background affecting everything? It’s baffling me that a device with 32gb of RAM is out performed by a handheld device with 8gb of RAM.

I wouldn’t say we are more optimized for Apple platforms. In general due to the fragmentation of the Windows ecosystem, people encounter more issues on Windows.

And what about MacBook Air M1? Now I’m windows user, but thinging about moving to Apple MacBook. Does M1 MacBook is sufficient for Shapr3D or not?

Yes, every Apple Silicon chip is extremely powerful. M3 is around ~50% faster than the M1, but the M1 is already more powerful than most Intel based computers.

Perfect. Thank you for your fast reply