Request: Default Extrude operation to "New Body" rather than "Union"

Almost every time I extrude something I like to keep it as a separate body before I join it to the rest of the model. Even so, I often forget to switch my extrusion to “New Body” before accepting the change, sometimes more than once in a row! (cognitive issues).

I think it’s many times easier to do a “Union” operation after the fact, compared to a “Split Face” (or undoing and redoing the extrusion), and for that alone feel like default extrusions to “New Body” would be the “safer” or less impactful option of the two.

I don’t know most people’s workflows, perhaps this has impact I’m not considering. I wouldn’t say this is a blocker, but it definitely slows me down, and defaulting to New Body would make Shapr3d ever so slightly more accessible for me!

I saw this related request, but it’s gone unanswered and I don’t know “necro” etiquette on this forum. It does help me feel like I’m not the only one, though :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening!

2 Likes

Agreed, I tend to want to make separate bodies using the primary as a reference

1 Like

That’s a good suggestion. Countless times I have wanted to Extrude as new body, but forgot to tick the option. A default new body would work well for me.

1 Like

Is it even possible to tick a box on iPad Pro to create new body VS. union? I don’t see that option anywhere and am also super frustrated at having to draw construction planes that are offset every time I want to create a discrete body, and then move the body afterward to be in the right location— vs just sketching on a face and making a new extrusion as a separate body.

Yes, it is possible. It’s right next to the dimension.

1 Like

In HBPM beta you can change the result method (and other parameters) after the operation is complete. It is pretty slick! You can check it out in the public beta.