Reverse engineer

I need a fairly photo realistic, quite accurate model of a 6 inch suction cup that we use pretty regularly in film. The visualization tools are really lining up with the real world materials very well.

In the same session today, I was able to build a good model of the one thing every film set has, the common apple box. Although they seldom look this clean.

8 Likes

For those that don’t know what an apple box is or how it’s used, here’s a retro toy commercial shoot from the '70’s (I think). It prominently shows a couple of apple boxes and I believe a half-apple in the center of the pic (lower far distance).

3 Likes

Awesome pic Mike. Thanks for that. Yes that’s a half apple. Everything is based on inches, a single inch box is called a pancake. For extra points, can you name that dolly? The black fabric frame is a cutter, I’ve already modelled one to practice getting sweep right and tricking the fabric by shelling a rectangle. Shapr’s modern fabric at low scale is a great replica of the real stuff. All these film equipment elements will be in a composite I’ll post soon.