Separate shape?

Hey All,

I lofted a hexagon onto a triangle and came up with this really wild design. I loved how it turned out. Now, I want to 3D print it. The problem is the max diameter is 15”, which is too big to fit onto my printer(I can accommodate 13.5 on an x/y, or 14 z).

While I could possibly print it on a XYZ diagonal, the printed pattern would not be the desired result(this is for a ceiling light fixture actually).

So, the shape itself does have sections but because it was lofted(then subtracted), I am unable to understand how(if at all) the section could be broken up and printed individually. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bottom

1 Like

You have created 2 threads on the forum for the same problem. Best to refrain when possible. Please take as a gentle criticism.

That said you tried what I would have: Loft (and was getting ready to try). Very interesting how it turned out. Not what you were after though correct?

I am working on a building structure with a similar geometry.

I notice that your equilateral triangle appears not to be in alignment with your hexagon in a way that would produce what you intended. The hexagon is also equilateral by mature.

1 Like

Notice that you can draw 2 equilateral triangles within the hexagon. Align the top equilateral triangle with one of those within the hexagon and then try the loft.

yeah never mind… there is some weird geometry going on there. :crazy_face:

Is this what you were trying to do?

1 Like

I do believe you has mistaken the intent for each thread. Please do take this also as gentle criticism.

To be honest, I had no idea that it would do that. Seeing that it did, I really liked it. So would like to find a way to keep it.

I was pleasantly surprised at this. Looking forward to learning more.

Not sure what you mean. As it was an experiment, the only ‘alignment’ was the bottoms of each. I might play with that alignment now that you mentioned it :slight_smile:

I’m designing a ceiling light fixture cover replacement. This particular design is a bit of a radical approach, but ultimately a good chance to be 3D printed vs trying to warp/bend clear acrylic to a curved shape. I found some nice filament which may do the job of creating the opaque/translucent lighting the client requested.

1 Like

That was the purpose for creating the second thread. This one I actually liked the slight wacky design outcome, so wanted to see if I could make use of it.

The second thread was to understand how to work toward the image you posted here.

I’d still need it break it up to print as the 15” base is simply 2” too big to fit onto my printer bed. That’s what I think I need to learn next.

I can create shapes, ‘hollow’ them out through subtraction but how to break them up into printable sizes after that? Is this something that can be done in Shapr3D or do I have to go to something like Fusion 360 to break apart the models?

I’ve been working on RV light fixture ideas. RV lighting mostly sucks. Little elegance in their design…

Yes cutting is totally doable in shapr. Also done in your slicer.

I created that shape by simply rotating the walls of the extruded hex at the base. You can draw 2 equilateral triangles within the hex shape. I moved one of the triangles up and then scaled it down with the center of the hex as reference. I used that triangle for a reference rotating the walls of the hex. Quick and easy.

I’m sorry, I’m not following. I need a visual to understand that.

I like to use pics. Videos go too fast