Shapr3D Linux

Hi. Is there any development plan of Shapr3D for Linux?

3 Likes

Hi, no. We will most likely never have a Linux version.

1 Like

In case this is going to be revisited anytime in the future, I’d love a GNU/Linux version as well (this will probably work fine on Wine, but native is always better).

3 Likes

If there is likely not going to be an official Linux release, is it possible to run the windows version through a compatibility layer such as Wine?

1 Like

Hi @Shar0641 , we haven’t really tried. While we won’t support it officially, if you try it, let us know if it works! I’m really curious!

i bet you could get it running in Lutris more easily. I’ve been able to get things to run in Lutris that i could not get running in wine or Play On Linux…

Why would you intentionally leave out the community that drives 3d printing?

1 Like
2 Likes

I created a community account soley to reinforce the need for a linux version of Shapr3d. You have Mac and Windows, suggesting that Shapr3d is not a OS agnostic build. Are you intentionally not supporting Linux?

Additionally, the plugins for Shapr3d on github all support linux and opengl. Does the team have the experience to compile for linux? I am sure the community would be willing to help.

2 Likes

Web based CAD is also an option. I used to deliver Onshape projects via Linux web browser.

It is an option, however, web-based CAD software is not as reliable or responsive as local CAD software. Not to mention, the software requires a connection to the internet. One of the most annoying issues with Fusion360 is the constant disconnect errors.
Asking for a Linux application is not a difficult request when the software is written in c++ and compatible with Mac OS. If the same base source code is used for both Windows and Mac operating systems, then the additional overhead for Linux should be minimal. I have developed countless industrial software products in a variety of languages (c/c++/c#/swift/rust/python/perl and web-based js/php/css). The effort to convert a product from Windows → Mac and vice versa is an order of magnitude greater than either Win/Mac → Linux.

Well then just make your CAD , or send your cv directly to Shapr3D headquarters , go for interview , shine so much so they beg you to join them, and then tell them that you will work for them under one condition …. Gimme your source code so I will convert it to Linux …. as is so freaking quick that I do it countless …
Yes sir I can do sir , of course sir you tell me I do. I do countless jobs per day sir ….

One basic question : Are you designer, cad operator/ user or programmer ?

1 Like