Snapping to axis and points with snaps toggled off

Thanks for the report!

In this case we believe this is the correct behavior: we treat the world axes as we’d treat other sketch lines or body edges and snap to them, though I fully understand how the icon for the “Grid” option here can be misleading, given how it shows the world axes themselves :man_facepalming:

We could have an option that disables all snapping, including to existing geometries, but we found that to be rarely necessary but would add further complexity to the app. Isn’t zooming in further for precise placement close to the axis a possible solution for you?

imho, if a design tool has a snapping feature, then it absolutely MUST have a way to disable it. cos it’s amazing when you want it, but infuriating when you don’t.

yes zooming in is a workaround but it will always feel like a workaround to a defect. it feels inconsistent when i have a sketch where some points are near axes and some arent. frustrating when i want to make adjustments to a sketch as a whole, but then i have to keep remembering to keep zooming way in for some points but not others.

and yes i agree that as-is the “Grid” icon is a UI defect. but also i think that [mistaken] icon decision speaks to the fact that if you say “grid snap is off”, it’s reasonable to assume that includes the axes.

re complexity, it seems trivial and well-organized to me to add one final toggle under the magnet icon for “Axis”. (if there’s really a use case where people want axis but not other grid lines snaps). and i would personally love double-click-magnet-icon-to-toggle-all-snaps. feels intuitive without cluttering the main UI. “Axis” could take “Grid”'s icon, and then the Grid icon could be like this or something:

and then snap control would be clear, intuitive, easy, and complete.

just my 2 cents as a new user. the app is absolutely incredible thank you for building it!!

2 Likes