Splines, blending

Hi, I’ve been working with splines on this project, and I’m trying to work in the manner I used to on paper, as I don’t know any other way. The image is an electric guitar top, and the splines are what I used to make separate templates to run a router around, then finish by using hand planes chisels sandpaper etc.

What I’m trying to to now is blend the splines in Shapr3D , as I would do using tools on wood, and I was given hope when I saw the video of a guy designing a shoe…

I extruded all of the splines as I would have routed the wood with templates, as you can see in the 2nd pic , but now I’m stumped… I’m trying to make a carved guitar top such as a Gibson Les Paul, the most famous example, and I was wondering if there is a way to draw more splines across the existing ones and somehow map a 3D shape?
Thanks in advance, Tom.

one more pic to show how I got to this point, I pad camera image imported into Shapr3D, and fit splines drawn around the outline, and over existing lines, the crucial dimensions for pickups neck and bridge placement ignored on the photo, Shapr3D took care of these…

Hi, I do not completely understand what you will like to achieve and the app allows you to draw Splines to cut across each other.

You can hide the body on the Items windows to have only your Spline sketch
Then draw new Splines to cut across the initially drawn ones.

If the initial extruded body interferes with extruding new closed intersecting Splines sketches - you can delete the old body and the extrude new bodies from the sketch.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the loft tool you should try to use.

//L

Thanks for responding, what I’m trying to achieve is to lose all of the steps from the extruded model, in a way that’s smooth. So the innermost point Of each step would be a new spline point, and this would cut the outermost point off, leaving a smooth transition from the top face of the body, all the way down to the outer edge, and this Would happen all the way around the model, leaving something like this…

Thanks Robert, I’ll have to look for that one, I’ve a bit to learn to be honest, the problem is it’s so intuitive to use this program, but you really need to think differently in terms of planes etc, than you normally would in physical action, I’ve just put a pic up to show a finished guitar, if you still think lofting is the way to go?

I would give it a try, the difficulty is to find the right distance between the layers…

Or draw a profile and use the sweep tool on a line, then subtract from the piece

1 Like

Thanks again will try the sweep option, the lofting isn’t working, it gives about 2 or 3 different reasons why some surfaces are incompatible. I’m starting to get a feeling it’s entering the area of 3d splines, which I read isn’t supported, so it’s this or what victor suggested. If I find a solution I’ll be sure to post it.

:+1:t2:
By the way, I think you should extrude the holes in the middle after you are satisfied with your shape.

我理解您所说的平滑过渡,实际上,这通常是需要加工工艺来解决的问题,比如抛光打磨,实际在模型中,存在相交线并不意味着这个表面它不是平滑过渡的,例如你通过“相切命令”,尽管因为相切,它必定是平滑的,但是它同样会有相交线存在。很抱歉我不能用您的语言交流,但谷歌翻译可能也能传达我的基本信息。如果您没能理解,请告诉我,我愿意通过图片向您示意。

Thanks, yes google is very useful here-
“I understand what you said about the smooth transition. In fact, this is usually a problem that requires a processing process to solve, such as polishing. Actually, in the model, the presence of intersecting lines does not mean that this surface is not a smooth transition. For example, if you pass “Tangent command”, although it must be smooth because of tangent, but it will also have intersecting lines. I’m sorry I can’t communicate in your language, but Google Translate may also be able to convey my basic message. If you do not understand, please tell me, I am willing to show you through the picture.”

Thank you, I would be grateful for any picture you are willing to share, I have tried everything everyone suggested here, including drawing splines, but that doesn’t work, because there are a potentially infinite number of splines required to intersect the existing ones, at what would have to be all points along their length, in order to create a fully smoothened ( is that a word?!) surface. At least I can see by now that there isn’t some absolutely basic feature that I have missed.

It’s not totally impossible, with some adjustments here and there…
I used the sweep tool on this one

3 Likes

Wow! Any chance you can tell tell me the steps you used? At your leisure of course, also did you import the design into Shapr3D , and did you use all of the splines? That looks close to exactly the desired effect😁

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0J1Fo3Q0v3C5S7nUl9P4pRikQ
test.shapr (4.6 MB)

1 Like

Cool! Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you this is awesome, I really appreciate your help.

1 Like

根据您的回复,我认为谷歌翻译的确没有能准确传达我的意思,我录制了一个视频向您演示一种曲面操作方式,希望能对您有帮助。

很遗憾我们使用的软件版本,并不是同一种语言,我不确定您能准确复制我的操作过程。但是我确信您应当可以看懂我视频中所演示的意思,我认为使用同样的方式您应该可以很好的解决您所遇到的问题,我自己在做复杂曲面的设计时这种功能是我常用到的。

Based on your reply, I think that Google Translate does not accurately convey my meaning. I recorded a video to show you a surface operation method, I hope it can help you… thank you for responding, I’ll try this out now, Tom.