SWEEP tool help

I am trying the SWEEP tool just to test what it does and if I understand how to use it. So, I started with a simple circle plain. Then I drew a line from the center of the circle. Seems simple enough. I then selected the SWEEP tool. I selected the circle plane, Clicked next, Then I tried tapping on the connected line. I get the error message Sweep tool has an invalid contact between 2 points. Not sure what I am doing wrong. This should be very easy to use. I tried watching videos, etc. but I still can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thank You

I draw the line first. Then I add a plane to draw on perpendicular to one end of the line. Draw my circle or whatever on that plane and then sweep it.

I think there is a disconnect between your line and circle for some reason.

I do it the same way as Oregonerd and it always works.

Are the circle and line at a different degree than one another ….on two separate planes?

FYI, for simple use, you don’t need to add a construction plane as you can rotate and move the sketch in 3D space with the Move-Rotate tool. Also, the target shape does not have to be on the same plane as the line in order to do the Sweep.

4 Likes

I don’t use sweep that often, but I never realized you could sweep along a path disconnected from the start sketch. Very cool.
Very useful.

Thanks Mike, I learned something today. :+1:t2:

Thank you I finall got it to work. But it should word the opposite way by creating the line then create the “circle”. So it still should be fixed. But I will keep practicing.

I take it back it does work both ways. i am not sure what I was doing wrong before.