Tapered thread

I need to draw up and print a tapered thread and I see there were a couple of threads started several years ago but none seemed to go anywhere. One was requesting advice to do exactly what I need to draw up but unfortunately the advice given was so short and cryptic and doesn’t make sense and isn’t helpful.

Anyone have any advice on drawing up a thread on a truncated tapered cone?
thanks

1 Like

(upload://8AmQXY5N30lPFcDp1xfG11NSPAz.jpeg)

it is also useful to draw a profile and use the sweep tool on the outer line that arises after using the intersect tool

8 Likes

as in the picture below

4 Likes
  • | - |

as in the picture below

Herzlichen Dank

Tolle Arbeit

1 Like

fantastic Robert!
exactly what i am after.
thanks
john

2 Likes

Hi Robert,

What you have demonstrated is one fascinating technique. I would never have thought of it.
Good job!!!

-Mike

1 Like

Wow, this is smart :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How did you get this shape? I cannot figure it out for the life of me!

1 Like

Nice one @Robert !! Great out of the box thinking. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Blake,

If you read the thread from beginning then you will figure it out, if not, let me know :+1:t2:

//R

1 Like

How did you do that ? I am not able to figure it out.

Draw a profile in front view and revolve it around a center line, set the angle of rotation and height.
Shape your “screw” the way you want it with another profile that you have revolved or lofted, use the subtract or intersect tool.
draw the final profile that has the desired shape, then use the sweep tool, select the drawn profile, and use the edge on the thing you created to sweep your profile.

and there you have it :slight_smile:

1 Like