Thumbnail views

Hello, is there a way to get thumbnail views of our shapr files ?

Currently, i can only see the shapr3d logo with file name below.

Would be useful to visualise the model itself (thumbnail views).

Thanks.

JC

Hi JC! Thanks for the feedback. This is currently not possible for the Shapr3d format exported files.

I have shared your feedback with our product team and hopefully we might implement this sometime in the future.

@jcgi
Note expect to find your version of the following ScreenShots.

Do you mean as displayed on your Design page?

Restart S3D to display:

At the bottom of the page find Designs hit this and you will find:

If you need a representation of a Design, Thumbnail sized, take a ScreenShot of the required Design and Edit it in Preview or any other appropriate App that can resize and crop.

I mean a thumbnail views of my S3D files when they are saved on my icloud.

For the time being, for exemple, if you have a folder where you have plenty of S3D files, you will only be able to “identify” the file by looking at the file name. Over time, when you accumulate many files, it becomes difficult to know what’s inside by only looking at the file name. This is the reason why many program support Thumbnails which help to visualise what’s inside the file. In the case of S3D, being able to have a thumbnail view of the 3D model would greatly help.

Thumbnail views present you from opening many files in order to check what’s inside.
It’s really convenient.

Can the S3D Team give us some update on this subject ?

Thanks,

JC

In case it helps, the Apple API for this is QLThumbnailProvider and it’s supported on Mac and iOS for icons in Finder and the Files app, including for files stored in iCloud. You write a provider and the OS calls it when it needs to display an icon for a file of a type your app owns. I don’t know if an equivalent feature exists on Windows or Linux.

Here’s a WWDC session video on the topic.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I am not a developer but it looks to me that you may have the solution to the issue.

I leave it to the very competent S3D Team to consider your proposed solution :upside_down_face:

Haha well I don’t think it’s quite a solution, just a nudge in the direction of one. I was responding to Victor’s comment saying that it’s not possible for .shapr files. It will take some work but it is possible, and here’s the API on the off chance they had missed it (it’s relatively new).

1 Like