Tutorial Video Request: Lofting using sketch-surfaces and Rails

Could a Shapr support person please make a Video Tutorial for the follow:
Loft two Planar, Parallel sketch-surfaces along sketch-curves?

For example, the hull of a row-boat.
One sketch-surface for the stern and one for the bow, a curve for the bottom of the boat and a pair(s) of symetrical curves for the sides of the boat.

I tried sketching the curves using the Spline (control points) tool but never could get their endpoints to land precisely onto the edges of the sketch surfaces. Perhaps the Spline tool is not the best or easiest approach?

Hi! Are you looking for something like this?

When sketching on different sketch planes, always look for the purple dots. They highlight where the sketch elements from other planes intersect with the specific plane you are working on. If you snap the endpoints of the splines to these purple ones, you’ll have the accuracy that is enough for the guided loft.

1 Like

Thank you Peter!
I am attaching my failed model for you to examine and comment on, if you wish.
I fiddled for a very long time trying to loft with rails.
Boat Loft Step.shapr (39.4 KB)

What I learned:

1. I never realized that with 3-point planes that you can click and drag the white dots (handles?) … what is the proper name for them? They also show up in the Twisted Ring video. I don’t think any of the beginner tutorials regarding construction plane creation shows or explains this. If there isn’t a video for this, it is important to have one that demos this in the beginner tutorials.

2. I didn’t try using a half-Bow and half-Stern profile. Per my attached file, I used full profiles and mirrored two side-curves. I Lofted the two profiles and but then failed to loft to the two-side curves and bottom-curve rails. I see your method is much more efficient.

3. You “cheated” with the bow-profile! :slight_smile: It never occurred to me to extrude the top-face of the resulting loft down to the apex of the hull shape and get around having to make a “narrow” profile.

4. I’d hope that your video or one like it with audio narration could be posted to YouTube for Lofting on Rails. It could include caveats critical to using rails and things to avoid.

Could you please post a model file that has all the geometry used prior to the lofting step?

And thanks again.

See if this helps. Look at my last video in this thread.

“Surfboard fin’s /foil’s”.

(Not sure how to copy the thread via my iPad browser)

And here’s another one.
“Loft from Sketch A to Sketch B along a Spline”

Thanks Mike

You are welcome :slight_smile:

1. Calling them handles is perfect, but I’d highlight them in some more advanced tutorials. For beginners, they may be too much.

2. Creating just half of the parts is a common practice in CAD, the mirror tool lets your laziness float :smiley:

3. Yes, since we do not allow Loft to end in points, there are some tricks that should be applied :slight_smile: This is the most important detail why the boat you uploaded cannot be lofted, you should let some extra material for the Loft. Btw thanks for the workspace, let me share my example below

1. I cannot promise anything regarding the commentary tutorial for boats, but we have one with a power drill: 3D modeling a power drill handle | Shapr3D step-by-step - YouTube

Boat.shapr (9.3 KB)

1 Like

Thank you, Peter!

Herr Professor Claas Kuhnen did a thorough job (as usual).
That video seems to cover the essentials!

There a lot of gems hidden within the Step-by-Steps.
I did searches in YouTube for “Shapr3D Loft” and also manually looked at the video titles, but this did not come up.