Using ALIGN with multiple bodies/assemblies

The Align tool is great, and has been a huge help in assembling designs.

However, one way that would greatly improve it’s function is the ability to select multiple bodies, whether a folder of bodies, or selecting individual bodies, then aligning them all relative to one area/surface/edge of one of the selected bodies to align.

Example:

I want to place this bearing into a bore. If I select the whole bearing assembly, the Align tool is not offered as an option. I can only select one part of the assembly. In this case, only the outer race is aligned, when it would be great to align the whole bearing assembly, based on the selected aligning surfaces of just the outer race.

Thanks.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s a known issue with the Align tool, and something that we are considering implementing. Thanks for the feedback! Model is looking great btw :slight_smile: are you going to manufacture it, or did you just design it for fun?

2 Likes

Thanks!

Making that option would be great for align.
This is a hub for a motorcycle, and yes, the plan is to machine it.
This is just an initial sketch.

1 Like

Awesome! Would love to see the end result.

1 Like

Yes, please add multiple objects or alignment of groups.

1 Like

Yes, please implement this. I’m running into a situation with a 3D model of a circuit board that has separate bodies for the substrate and the tracks. The current implementation of the Align tool only allows me to align the substrate, leaving the tracks behind.

1 Like

Has there been any more consideration of this?

It would greatly speed up my workflow.

Just bumping this, as I keep having the need for this function.

Any progress on this? The lack of this feature makes it difficult to draw complex assemblies.

Fews day ago I asked is there feature to lock the components that already joint/aligned, so if one component of it to be aligned with another, they move together as one component…but there no answer…

@scwass currently we are not working on this, but we find it important and will certainly implement it in the foreseeable future.

@Gusriwandi we don’t have assemblies yet, but it’s something we definitely plan to implement.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update.

I have to add to this as well, the way align tools works right now it’s very powerful but missing locking feature makes it very frustrating. I think locking feature would greatly improve overall Shapr3d usability.
Here is an example:
Let’s say I would like to model a door opening with trim around it so I do following:

1. Draw a wall with an opening 32" x 84".
  2. I import a profile and extrude it to some arbitrary length, just to have a 3d model of the trim.
  3. I align inside face of the trim with the left side of the door opening.
  4. I align bottom of the trim with the bottom of the wall
  5. I should be able to align top face of the trim body with top of the door opening which will automagically make trim of proper length! - Currently not possible
  6. I am able to copy trim and have right side trim and top of the door trim.
  7. Now I can align right side of the trim with the door opening and my vertical pieces are done.
  8. Align left side of the top trim with left vertical trim
    9. I should be able to align right side of the top trim with right side vertical trim and it would automagically re-size to accomodate that.

I believe this feature would streamline design process to the next level.
Currently, in order to do any of this, you have to deal with dimensions and I don’t consider that a streamlined process. I have no problem doing dimensions but with today’s power of software we shouldn’t need to do it.

Just a recommendation.