Inside ledge

I am working to learn Shapr now and I make LED lit channel letter signs. What I will print are actual letters that are variable in height and 3.5" thick. I use the shell tool to carve out the inside and create a letter can. In the bottom flat surface of the letter can, I place LED lights. The top open face of the letter will have colored acrylic faces.
These faces need to sit inside the top of the letter can and not fall through to the bottom. The acrylic face is 4.83mm thick. My issue is trying to make an inside lip or ledge that is around the inside of the letter can that would be 4.83mm down from the top lip and 2mm thick.
I think this would be done with the “Offset Edge” tool and then extruded, but I am unable to accomplish this. If anyone can either help me or direct me to someone that tutors and can help me learn this part of my design I would appreciate that greatly.
Here is a pic of a letter with the ledge (it is the right part of a D):

Here is a finished letter showing the red acrylic sitting on the ledge:

Thanks,
Bruce
Image Quest LED

On the inside top edge make a construction plane perpendicular to the edge (anywhere). Draw the profile of the channel anywhere on the plane and use the sweep tool. Select all edges along the way and watch the magic.

You can cut channels or add edges using that method.

Thanks, I will give this a try.

I am very appreciative of your response - thanks.
I will probably need to hire someone to either show me how to do this or make a video making the ledge in a letter. I was able to make a construction plane and move it down the 4.83mm needed to be the top of the ledge.
Then I created 2 offsets on the inside of the letter O - one on the inside letter wall and one 2mm out trying to make the thickness of the ledge. Not even sure if this is right. I can’t get past this point.
Do you know of anyone who I could hire to tutor me on this? I have watched so many training videos, some ok and some bad and none of them gives me what I need to accomplish this ledge.

thanks again

I360 LOGO - lip const plane.shapr (266 KB)

Give me a few minutes to make a vid. If someone else doesn’t beat me to it.

Is that what you trying to achieve?

1 Like

Here’s a way to use Offset.

1 Like

Have to agree in this case your approach is better :slight_smile:

Thanks more than you know. This is perfect. I just couldn’t figure it out and this worked great. Shapr3d is a great program and it’s support and connections are wonderful.
Thanks to you and all who have helped.
Bruce

1 Like

Thanks Alex
this was more helpful than you can imagine!
Very appreciative of your help and time.

1 Like

A triangular profile would be preferable for 3D printing as no supports would be needed. Mike’s method would be more suitable for machining. Method of manufacture needs to be taken into account. I print, so I always try eliminate/ reduce overhangs that need support.

I add a chamfer on the underside of the ledge for 3D printing. I do this sort of thing often.

3 Likes

I printed it last night with a triangle ledge and it’s perfect.
Thanks

4 Likes

Great job! :+1: We’d love to see the finished product in “Share your creations”.