Option to turn on/off parametric modeling

For the new version of parameter modeling, it is of little use to me.
Since the developer has chosen to turn on parametric modeling, you should give users the right to choose.
You can turn on the parameter modeling switch if you use parameter modeling, and turn it off if you don’t need it.
It’s better for everyone. After all, not many people need parametric modeling. I believe that more people like me don’t need it at all. I only have one purpose, that is, simply and quickly complete the modeling and get the file.

7 Likes

And parametric modeling is keeping you from doing that how? You can still do direct modeling as before. The only difference is you can’t delete sketches, but they can still be hidden with very little more effort. Create a “sketches” folder, hide it, and then as you get to the point where you don’t need a sketch anymore, drag it into that folder. It will be hidden from then on until you unhide the folder.

6 Likes

I agree, we should have the option to switch off parametric modelling. I have always deleted my sketches once no longer needed, and this is the process I have worked to for the past few years. If only to keep my workspace less cluttered. Why should I have to keep a folder of sketches that I have zero need for?

I wouldn’t mind if this is how Shapr3D had always worked, but over the years users have become accustomed to Shapr3D working a certain way. To make this change without out the option to switch it off, is incredibly frustrating.

Hi @andyjclarke, I understand that it can be a major change at first, which can be frustrating. However, we will not implement an option to disable parametric. If you don’t want to use parametric modeling, you don’t have to, you can just close the history panel. The only major difference compared to the previous workflow is that you should just hide your sketches instead of deleting them. Otherwise pretty much everything works the same.

3 Likes

Hi Andy and Martin,

What we all could use is a selective delete of memory muscle! :rofl:

Seriously though, I was in the same boat as you. When I was done with my design, there were often zero sketches, or planes. Usually only bodies, maybe axes (if I needed to rotate some parts for a demo).

It did not take very long to abandon the “no more sketches” memory and have a folder of sketches where they could all be easily hidden.

Then, after seeing the major time savings of having history, I was happy to hide the sketches. One more folder doesn’t clutter the workspace up that much.

Here are some questions to consider. If you answer any of them “yes,” then you might have an easier time living with the folder of hidden sketches.

• Have you ever wanted to change the guide lines of a guided loft long after you have made that loft?
  • Have you ever needed to change the dimension of a body that you extruded and have made cut outs, added fillets and chamfers? The kind where you can’t just grab a face and move it. Or the kind where it takes time to split the body, delete the fillets/chamfers, then stretch or shrink the size, redo the cutouts, fillets and chamfers?
  • Have you ever made an extrude where later you decide you would have been better off with a new body instead of a union?
  • Have you ever made a thread using revolve, then realize a week later you need left hand thread and you made right handed?

These are just a sampling of the kind of tasks that are so much easier with the current history based program than the old direct modeling only program.

My advice is give this new style with history and parameters a fair try. There are some differences with the old way, and instead of fighting the changes, try to see how they can make your designing easier. Also there are many tutorials available to HBPM Shapr3D.

7 Likes