Scale only along x, y, or z?

I would like this feature too.

The ability to modify a design in one axis is as important as modifying it uniformly. To adjust height or width without having to redraw the entire object should be a common feature in all design apps.

I look forward to seeing this feature in upcoming updates.

3 Likes

For the love of god, please get this Non-uniform scaling function done already. This is a 5 years old request, why is this basic function still not in the App amaze me.

5 Likes

Hi, Istvan

Newbie to Shapr, but not to 3D

Earlier in this thread, you asked, ā€œHow would you use it?ā€œ

Can you seriously NOT think of ANY cases where a 3D modeler wouldnā€™t want this basic ability?

Built my first model with Shaper & Iā€™ve already cursed at it for not having this ability. How utterly annoying. Itā€™s SO FREAKING BASIC!!

Iā€™ve used Maya, Blender, 3DMax, AfterFX, Lightwave, Sketcherā€¦ ALL of them do this effortlessly, without having to fire up another program to do so. In fact, I canā€™t think of a piece of modeling software Iā€™ve used that doesnā€™t feature axis scaling isolation.

Can you?

I have a friendly wager:
Letā€™s take the top 20 3D modeling software currently on the market ā€” your competition, if you will ā€” and if more than 20% (4 programs) disallow this (basic, essential) capability, Iā€™ll purchase a Shaper3D subscription.

If 80% (16 or more) include constraining scaling on the X, Y, or Z axis, you gift me a full subscription to Shaper3D.

Do we have a deal?

5 Likes

The reason why we are asking why a certain feature is needed, is because understanding your needs helps us design a better feature with a better UX. Every feature can be implemented a million different ways, itā€™s important to understand how our users want to use a feature to build the right thing, how it contributes to their workflow. This is the foundation of building a great feature.

1 Like

Hi, again.
My apologies for sounding a bit snarky in my previous post. Iā€™m simply dumbfounded that, as someone whoā€™s used several 3D modelers ā€“ all of which constrain scaling to a specific axis ā€“ Shapr doesnā€™t. I have to assume you (or the development team) have used other modeling software as well, so all should be familiar with the darn-near basic nature of its utility.

Think of the Intermittent Wiper. Do you use/adjust the interval EVERY time you use your wipers? Itā€™s a standard feature on new vehicles now.
How about power windows? Can you even purchase a modern vehicle without them? Would you?

As it relates to 3D Software & Workflow:
a. I create a 3D widget that is in almost every respect EXACTLY how I want it to beā€¦EXCEPT itā€™s 6mm too tall.
b. I have a rounded widget that Iā€™d like to be slightly ā€œsquishedā€ ā€“ but only along the X axis. (Iā€™m going for aesthetics, NOT for, say, a CAD-accurate file.)
c. I modeled ā€œSHAPER3Dā€ as a text object, extruded & chamfered it, but now itā€™s too thick (or too tall, or too wide, etc.) to fit into my other model(s)ā€¦ I only want to adjust the width (or height, or extruded thickness) of the logoā€¦ but I can ONLY scale uniformly
or rebuild it
or ā€“ as it relates to workflow ā€“ export it and import it again until Iā€™m happy with the result??
ā€“ With respect: you CANā€™T be serious!

ā€¦and Iā€™m doing rather simple modeling, here (pic attached). Nothing as complex as some of the advanced modelers here, so I know this isnā€™t some ā€œPie-in-the-Sky,ā€ obscure request.

To be clear: I donā€™t and havenā€™t built (what I would consider) terribly complex models, but I know enough about 3D that making scaling tweaks isolated to only 1, 2, or all 3 axes happens regularly in the course of my workflow ā€“ and many other of my colleagues have incredulously indicated the same!

My wager still stands: Please name any other serious/professional 3D modeling software that doesnā€™t offer independent axis scaling.

Cordially,
Daniel
DDD 3d_modeling animation |690x388

2 Likes

I too would like to see this implemented.

I use shapr3d for both laser and CNC work, there have been multiple times where Iā€™ve needed to scale an object on a single axis to make it fit on a required work piece.

I work with a lot of pre-made models for furniture features, Iā€™ve been having to use another program to scale a model to the required width, length and height and then import back into shapr3d.

5 Likes

Thank you, fantastic feedback. Definitely helps us building non uniform scaling feature the right way.

3 Likes

It absolutely blows my mind that this feature has been missing since 2016. Its a basic 3d modeling function. There are thousands of ways it could be used. I am currently on the free two week trial, and lacking this feature is the reason I will not be paying for a subscription. Utterly ridiculous.

1 Like

Depending on exactly what you need to accomplish, it is easy to stretch (or compress) along one dimension. Select (only) the faces, lines, and complete objects that need to be changed, then grab the arrow and move the desired amount (or type in an exact figure).

I recently needed to make a storage cabinet (plus drawers, etc.) wider. Selected everything on one side and stretched ā€“ worked like a charm.

1 Like

This apparently only works on objects that were built in Shapr. I am unable to select the face of an imported STL.

It does work on imported X_T and STEP bodies as well as bodies created in Shapr3D. STLā€™s are a different animal. You can do some simple booleans on STLā€™s such as Subtract and Union. You can scale and duplicate as well. Other than that, consider STLā€™s as read-only as you canā€™t select surfaces or edged and unable to measure them.

Hi Pascal, this information is incorrect. Approximately 50% of our efforts are going into improving existing functionality, and the rest is split up between developing new features and improving Shapr3D for Windows.

2 Likes

Hi Pascal, we put a tremendous amount of effort into setting the right priorities. We do consider non uniform scaling important, but there were hundreds of other features and improvements in the last few years that our customers and users considered to be even more important. As you know, a CAD system has an enormous depth and breadth, and we have been catching up rapidly since the first release of Shapr3D. So far non uniform scaling was rarely a workflow blocker for our customers as most often they were able to find a workaround for the lack of this feature, for example by using the edge transform/move feature, or creating the geometry with lofts. Actually weā€™ve just scheduled the implementation of non uniform scaling, and you can expect it to be released soon, later this year or early next year.

5 Likes

Non proportional scaling is also something Iā€™d like to see added.
As well as maybe some type of deformation (deformation cage) tool

1 Like

Iā€™m currently evaluating Shapr3D. Iā€™m a hobbyist who develops models for 3D printing.

The use case is simple: I want to remix a model developed by someone else. Of course if you have the original model, you can rescale it in Shapr3D. But when working with a model from a site like Thingiverse, often you can only get an STL file.

Even Tinkercad lets you rescale an STL along the X, Y or Z axis. So this is definitely possible.

Hi, Istvan

I FULLY & ENTHUSIASTICALLY support & await implementation of non-uniform scaling.

So much so, I upgraded & purchased a sub to help support your efforts & this truly amazing software.

Iā€™ve needed it countless times over the last several Shapr3D sessions. Ugh! So frustrating!!

It may be selfish, but I personally canā€™t wait for this feature, because Iā€™ll use the HECK out of it.

3 Likes

This was enough to prevent me purchasing. Basic function is missing, makes me thing other things are missing, I stopped using the app.

1 Like

I need to widen a toilet model 2 inches to match the customerā€™s toilet. Height and length are fine.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Short of redrawing the entire model of course.

I desperately need this feature. ANY design software has the ability to non-uniform scale, look at the first version of Photoshop that was released in the 90ā€™s.

Designers do not always work in scale. Lets say I want to make an oval. The simplest way is to draw a sphere and scale it. Youā€™re turning something that should be one step into 10 by having to fight with the sketch tools. Now lets say that same oval needs to fit into another object, the L/W are fine but the height needs to change. I need to try and draw a whole new object.

Iā€™m trying to create a complex model and having more success in Tinkercad than I am with Shapr3D because of this issue. The implementation is holding the shift key to adjust along a single dimension only. Its very basic.

I stopped my subscription after realizing this wasnā€™t core functionality. This is ticket to entry stuff.

Hi, itā€™s now early ā€œnext yearā€ and I was wondering if you had an update for your many customers who are waiting for this feature! I was really glad to see you finally implement text support a few months ago, so thank you for that.

I know other people have mentioned this scenario before, but I often design decently large threaded parts (think M16 or M20) usually by importing a Solidworks part from GrabCAD. In order to make the male part fit after FDM printing, it needs to be scaled down by a few percent in the XY plane. Iā€™ve looked at quite a few posts on here and havenā€™t found a good way to change that without completely redrawing and revolving them from the ground up. I know I can perform the non-uniform scale in any slicer software I use, but I have to remember each time and if I share the stl file, other people wonā€™t know to scale it before printing. It would be far better to design in the proper tolerances before sharing my files. It is embarrassing to have to admit to a colleague that my favorite CAD canā€™t perform simple non-uniform scaling, and does not make them very likely to try it.