2 Point and 3 Point Circle Creation

The problem that this feature will solve:

Creating circles when you don’t know where the center is.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

This would give users the option of creating a circle by two other means…
1. Selecting two points (the diameter of the circle is drawn by selecting two points)
2. Selecting three points (the circumference of the circle is drawn by selecting three points)

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Trying to create a circle when the center point is unknown and based on pre-existing geometry, as in the screen shot below. Yes, I can select the line and see that the radius is 2.32mm, but once I draw that circle, there is no way to precisely align it. If I could click three random points on that line and the circumference of the circle aligns to them, then the circle would have the proper radius/diameter and be perfectly aligned.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

I guess it is a workflow blocker if precision were needed. In this instance I am tracing a poorly drawn .step and accuracy isn’t super critical, though it would be nice. In this instance it’s just slowing me down.

Thanks

1 Like

Concentric on both circle edges will centre them precisely. Just click the edge of the target circle (or partial circle) and also the circle you want to move to target, and that’s it done.

In the video, I moved two drawn circles to the centres of two circular holes in geometry.

1 Like

That works just fine in most instances, but not in this one, because now I realize you can’t snap too .step points or lines.

It will also not work when using a PDF or image as a reference/underlay, which I’m trying to do for a project at work. I’m want to use Shapr3D as a quick way to visualize projects like the one below, before moving them to AutoCAD to release for production. It would be great to be able to click on three points on those desktops and have a circle generated.