5.320 - Introducing point-to-point measurements

Add more efficiency to your workflow with these new updates to Measurement Mode and Items Manager.

• New: Measurement Mode can now make point-to-point measurements, allowing you to define a custom distance or angle measurement by selecting notable points in your model.
  • Improved: Measurement Mode now allows you to pin all types of measurements applicable to your modeling workflow.

Windows:

• Improved: Explore your workspace items faster with the revamped look of the Items Manager.

Liking the new features? Share your thoughts in the comment section down below. :arrow_down:

14 Likes

Please make it so we can hide the measurement window and still show measurements

5 Likes

But in the meantime you can move the window around, so to be less intrusive if you need so :wink:

2 Likes

So nice so cool

Cool, but please hide the measurement call outs when the component being measured is no longer in view. Further, an invaluable ff (future feature) will be to use the same call out technology to label components using the names assigned by user in the layers panel. And ensure this works in Visualisation mode too. Be useful in presentations and illustrations.

1 Like

“Measurements” doesn’t show as an option for me. I have Shapr3D on iPad. Is it only on a computer that I will see this option?

No, it’s available on all platforms. Are you using the latest app version? 5.321

No, I wasn’t! That did it. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that. I really though that upgrading would have done that automatically but I was wrong.

Since January we seem to have numerous Measurement updates but not much else. Wondering when can we see some other area updated? You may as well tell me if materials will be improved soon or not, then I can look into getting CADmio if its not on the near horizon.

How are notable points determined? I want to measure something that doesn’t have a notable point.

Hi @Travelton, welcome to the Forum!

For notable points, we tried to come up with a set of points for each distinct geometry class that we can clearly identify even after the parent geometry of the point has been modified. This ensures that measurements remain stable and consistent during modeling.

I’m curious about your use case, can you elaborate on what you would like to measure and what notable point could help you with measuring it?

I’ve modeled my object, which consisted of many different extruded shapes. Now I’m trying to get accurate measurements of height, width, and length. When I attempt to measure the height, it requires measuring from the top tip of a triangular shape to the outer edge of a rectangular shape intersected by the triangle. There’s a notable point at the tip of the triangle, but nothing on the rectangle to connect the measurement to.

Bounds measurements are indeed hard to generally solve just with notable points, especially considering very complex geometries - height, width and length are properties that can’t be consistently associated with specific points on the model.

The good news is, I think we have tools for your use case too, have you tried our selection-based measurements yet? If you open the Measurements panel and select the specific geometries (edges, faces, bodies) you’re interested in, you get a neat list of measurements relevant for your selection, that likely contains the exact one you’re looking for - you can hover items in the list to get them visualized on the canvas, and pin the ones you’d like to keep around during modeling.

We have a manual article, that lists all available selection-based measurement types. Check them out, I think you’ll find them useful.

Thanks Daniel! The selection-based measurement worked for me. :rocket: