Aligning two objects

I’m building a lamp with a base. The base is going to hold the electronics. I want to place the base dead center below the lampshade, but I don’t know how to make it work. Aligning only seems to work with planar faces. I tried aligning with the plane below, but it won’t center either, just align with the surface.

Added two images for clarification. In the bottom view image you can see the misalignment.

I am running into this problem quite a lot, did I miss something? I am very new to CAD and Shapr3D :slight_smile:

How do I center the base below the lamp shade?

Hello,

You may wish to get your “main object” centered over the “origin point”, (xyz corordinate). This should always be your reference starting point.

I tend to use a simple extruded circle, say, .125 of an inch thick, this extruded circle is aligned to all the other objects and or object that I wish to move into a new position.

Select your object you wish to move from the items menu, then select the extruded circle, then using the align tool select the extruded circle and place the, in your case, the base into its desired position.

When task completed delete the alignment tools.

Hope this makes sense.