Align something to the middle of another object

How would you get the drawer pull in the image below aligned to the center of the drawer along the y-axis?

I would have selected the drawer face and chose the sketch tool. Then make a rectangle/center mode, on the drawer face surface. Then extrude that into the pull as a separate body already centered.

In your case I would start here to get a good understanding of the align tool. It helped me:

Here’s an easy way to do it manually.

1 Like

It’s funny you shared this because it came up in another of my posts last week and I still don’t see a way to use it to accomplish what I’m asking without additional geometry or multiple align commands.

Hey Mike…yeah, anything can be accomplished with enough additional geometry. I thought someone would show me some novel way that Shapr3D can accomplish the move without all of the additional geometry.

We have all of these end and midpoints that are essentially useless unless very specific commands are issued. I don’t understand why we can’t snap to these known objects like in this video I made using AutoCAD (for some reason Loom does not want to play nice with AutoCAD)

In the example above, what I really wanted to do was copy the existing pull from an object that it is perfectly placed on, but there’s no way to do it using the end and midpoints, as seen in the video below. I can insert a construction plane and mirror it, which works, but why can I snap the gizmo to the corner of an object as a start point, but once I use the gizmo, it becomes snap agnostic? It just doesn’t make sense, especially when 90% of the functionality is already baked in.

…and I know…I’ve beaten align to death. Had I never used any other drawing program, it would be a different story.

Well now we have more info :blush:. I agree with you. Would be nice if while using the move tool to move or moving a duplicate, it would give us guides when the center/ edge align vertically or horizontally to nearby objects’ centers/ edges or are distributed evenly across the same. I rely on that capability in several programs.

1 Like