"Along Edge at Angle" is really need to be reverted

“Along Edge at Angle” is really need to be reverted.
Why do I have to do a long trip to the origin just to add a plane along an edge, and back again to the target edge to adjust the angle from stupid 45 degree at default.
The target edge is right here.

I understand your issue, however, I am not sure that it’d feel natural to have to select a plane first when you want to add a construction plane along an edge. Also, the plane needs to be selected to have a basis for the angle, which also points towards a UX where they are set up after each other.

What I am wondering is how do you end up in a situation where you don’t have a properly aligned face to use as a base plane. Do you specifically want to orient the the construction plane to one of the world planes and not a neighboring plane? Or you’d use sketch lines as edges? Understanding that would help us think about a good solution for that situation.

Thank you for your comment !

A few months ago Shapr3D offered a perfect UX.
Which was,
(1) Select an edge
(2) Select the menu item Construct Plane - Along Edge at Angle
(3) A plane appears with a default value of 45 degrees to the edge.
(4) Specify the angle of the plane and confirm.

Now the following steps (a) (b) (c) are required between (2) and (3), which are completely meaningless.
(a) Move to the area near the origin ( I have to scroll by myself)
(b) Select one of the standard X-Y, X-Z, or Y-Z planes displayed near the origin ( makes no sense )
(c) Move to the target edge of (1) (must scroll by myself)

With or without these steps (a)-(c), the steps (1)-(4) make no difference.

What kind of element are you using as a reference edge for this? Could you take a screenshot about the start of the process?

Hi @Flatman,

You don’t need to go to the origin. Here is a short video with an edge on a surface at an arbitrary angle. Click Add Construction Plane. Select Along Edge at an Angle. Select the edge. Click Next. Select the face that edge is on. Click Next. Set angle. Click Done.

If you have a big screen, you can reduce the distance of your mouse movements by putting the face with the edge of interest near the left side menu.

1 Like

Good morning Bob3DPO,

Now I understand that I do not have to select from the 3 planes displayed near the origin, but only select the nearest arbitrary plane.
Thank you for your help.

However, I still don’t understand why the step of selecting some plane was added.

If instead of picking a line on a face you were to pick the edge of a cube (or other body), by selecting a plane you are specifying a relation for the angle. In the parametric beta, you can change the edge and face later if needed. By choosing a face it is a more general case (and S3D is not making and assumption).

I finally understand the background behind the change from previous operations.
I will be able to use S3D comfortably after this.
Thank you very much.

1 Like