Apply repeating pattern to rotated spline

How would you apply a repeated pattern, like a raised hexagonal pattern that fits perfectly around a rotated spline (like a vase)?

It’s difficult enough, I can’t figure out how to even project a hexagonal sketch or face to a cylinder or rotated spline. Is there a good workflow for doing this?

Can you post a photo of what you are looking for. Or a link to a photo?

Yes, here it is. I found my procedure to be an approximation, but looks good despite all the steps taken. There must be a better method.

Each hexagon is on it’s own sketch plane and was sized according to two octagons rotated to evenly maximize points around a cylinder. Then, lines were drawn from the cylinder center to each octagonal point. Those lines were used to extrude and then re-extrude pie shaped slices in the cylinder. Then drawing from the front on the center line, I sized and placed one hexagon to take up the width of a pie slice and place the center line of the hexagon on the face of the cylinder. Then I used the offset loop tool to create a smaller hexagon inside the larger, so I would have a border. Then used the circular pattern tool to create precisely the number of hexagons evenly. Then I copied, moved up, and rotated the bottom row of hexagons to be offset evenly from the bottom row. Then I copied those two rows and placed them in place above the others. I extruded a smaller inner diameter of the cylinder to create a vessel. Next I selected each interior hexagon face and extruded inward to create hexagonal holes in the cylinder.

There must be a better way to sketch on the surface of a cylinder or curved surface so that many of these steps could be eliminated. Or, another way to do this?

Thanks.

Here’s another approach where you only need to sketch one hexagon.

3 Likes

Here’s the problem with this method shown in the video:

When you try to go all the way around in 360 deg, your pattern, whether hexagons or something else will not be spaced evenly and you’ll end up with a big space or smaller space when you place the last one.

I challenge those who are trying to help, to actually attempt the procedure of actually trying to place totally symmetrical patterns to create evenly spaced embossments or holes around a cylinder or revolved spline. You’ll see the workarounds that you have to do and massive number of steps to keep it symmetrical.

But I do appreciate all the feedback, thank you!

Thanks for the video. I am also using Fusion 360 for other projects, but I wanted to create totally in SHAPR without going to other platforms for this project.

SHAPR I think has much more potential and I love the ease of use versus the very antiquated CAD hierarchy and learned techniques for the Autodesk products.

All uniformly spaced.

2 Likes

Yes all uniformly spaced for those that were placed, but try going all the way around to where you started, you’ll see you have to resize your hexagon or adjust your spacing because the last one you can possibly place all the way around (360 deg) will be off.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. Try the whole procedure yourself to make what I made and tell me what obstacles you run into. This is not as simple as it may seem.

Thanks.