Holes around curved edge

So I am trying to get holes in concentric circles around a curved surface. Picture a hockey puck that has been shelled to 3mm, and then 3 rings of holes down the side all the way around the outside of the puck. I have 0 experience with 3D modelling and was able to do this in about 15 mins on Fusion 360. I have been trying for a few hours on “the worlds most intuitive 3D design app” with no luck. Any help?

Hi, I am sorry to hear that. Can you share a screenshot of the design you made in Fusion? That would help a lot in understanding what you want to achieve.

Here you go. Sketching on surfaces and then using the pattern tool, makes this fairly easy. I can’t find and equivalent in Shapr3D.

We don’t have a pattern tool at the moment. You can simply copy and paste though your sketches and bodies with the transform tool, and achieve the same result.

Ok thank you. Is there a tutorial or video you could point me towards?

This tutorial shows you hints on how to achieve what you want + shows organization steps to help you on the way. [How to Shapr3D] Spur Gear 2D to 3D drawing 148 - YouTube

1 Like

Thank you. Will see if I can get it figured out. I really like the idea of using an iPad and pen for design, but need to make sure I can accomplish what I would like without too much hassle.

It’s a nice video, but not very helpful. I may just have to wait for hole and pattern tools.

Here’s a method for punching holes.
-Mike

1 Like

And, here’s part 2.

1 Like

1 Like

There can be several ways to do what you want.

1 Like

Thanks again, was just hoping there was something that was not so repetitive. Appreciate the help.

It’s on our wish list and they appear to be listening. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Short of a full pattern or array function, a simple “Repeat Last Transformation” would go a LONG way towards making this type of action faster, simpler and easier.

It doesn’t even seem like it would be hard to implement. Just keep the rotation origin and movement delta the same and use previous ending coordinates/objects as the new starting coordinates/objects. It should be just as easy for linear movements – just keep applying the same movement vector to the previous result.

I know it always seems easier from the outsiders perspective, but as someone with several decades of programming experience, I can’t believe this would be hard to implement. By definition, you already have all of the input data you need to perform the (previous) operation – just do it again to whatever new object(s) have been created.

1 Like