Applying Shell tool

Hello All - I am following a new tutorial ’ Soap Bottle | Modeling Projects’, where the bottle cap via the Shell tool requires a wall thickness of 1 mm.

1.5 mm works, but if I want to set a thickness of 1 mm, an error occurs. See attached video.

Am I overlooking something? An error in my drawing or an error in the program? I am working with OS version 5.620.0 (6941) on a MacBook M1.

Shapr shell tool always tries to shell EVERY part of the geometry, so for the little nodes (or whatever they’re called) on the cap 1mm would try to shell within them but the geometry would be impossible, hence the error. 1.5mm moves it past them, ie. makes them solid and just shells the circular extrusion. I frequently have issues with shell and that’s the simple explanation I’ve come up with.

You can get around this by shelling 1.5mm, then change the order in history putting the shell before the nodes, then edit it to 1mm. That will get a 1mm shell with solid nodes.

2 Likes

Hi @Jan-Willem

in complement to @APDesignMachine, if you look what happens on a cross section view, you will see that the shell is creating a spherical void inside the cap. When the void would close, Shapr3D decides that the body would be invalid.
Then, by increasing the value of the shell parameter, the size of the void decreases until there is no more void, and the shape becomes valid again.

1 Like

Hello @APDesignMachine and @PEC,

Alex’s solution solves the problem. Put the Shell back one place in history.
Your supplementary explanation with your video @PEC illustrates the problem perfectly.

Thank you both very much for the quick response! I can now continue following the tutorial…

1 Like