Assembly Project workflow

I was wondering if I could get some input from the Shapr3d Community on what is a good workflow to follow when creating assemblies with many components.

1. Create a assembly by creating multiple components then build in place in one
    Shapr3d file.

2. Create individual Shapr3d component files then insert them into a new Shapr3d
    assembly positioned in place.

3. Any other suggestions.

Thank you

The cool thing is either way works, but I have come to use 2 projects, one for the development of the components, and the other identical project as the assembly. I’ve used Files for folders previously but now we have Shapr3D folders. I began this process because I download components from McMasterCarr, and would save them into a component’s Files Folder.

Then once I began making my own components, I found the need to create them on an assembly, then extract them into the Component folder.

By adding the components to a new Assembly project, I was able to double check all my components as well as the downloaded ones.

Here’s a short video of a large commercial piece of equipment, using Undo to assemble the components.

Thank you McD for you response, I was a little worried that I did not get any responses back on this subject thinking that maybe not too many users were creating assemblies in Shapr3d. I agree with the way you are creating assemblies and do realize the they can be done as one assembly where the component’s are created in one Shapr3d assembly file. Or create as separate components then assembled later into a separate assembly file. The one issue that I am concerned about is that let’s say I need to modify a bolt to make it longer and I modified p/n 123-1 to be longer which is in a separate shapr3d assembly does that modified longer shapr3d file 123-1 bolt update automatically in the assembly or do you have to reassemble the new modified longer bolt 123-1 so what I am trying to say is do the updated changes to specific shapr3d file in a separate assembly get propagated thru the assembly somehow. Might be a question for the Shapr3d team.

Thank you

Dan, it does not automatically update. You must replace it. McD

That’ what I thought, not really what I have been used to for the past 30 years from a Cad software but I will make it work.

Thank you