Attaching Two Objects

I created a ‘plate’ (square, extruded to 1 inch thickness).
I created a ‘tube’ (started with a circle and extruded it to 4 inches long).

Now I want to attach one end of the tube (or cylinder) to one side of the plate.

I can set my view to top, and then move the tube until it is ‘against’ the plate. I can zoom in until I’m look at 1/2048 or even closer, to make sure that the tube is very ‘close’ to the plate.

When I do this, sometimes a drawing of this ‘assembly’ looks good, like in this example. But, in some cases, the line shown in this example drawing, isn’t there in the drawing.

Is there some other way to ‘attach’ one object to another object, where all of the lines are shown as in this drawing?

Tube-Plate_Example-1.pdf (18.6 KB)

Hi John,
Have you tried the align tool? Select one end of your cylinder then select the side of the plate to attach it to. Now you have 2 faces selected. Click the align tool.

That will center the cylinder flush on the plate, so you may want to move it to a different location.

To “attach,” select both bodies and union them.

Once the two objects (pieces) have been ‘unioned’, that can’t be undone, correct?

As long as parametric history is maintained, any operation can be undone. If you choose to collapse history, you’ll lose that ability.

Thanks to both of you!