Solved - Aligning and fitting together two parts

Update from Shapr3d team:
We have just released the new 3d alignment tool feature with the 3.52 app version :partying_face:
This will allow you to simply tap on the body faces to get them snapped together.

Simply update the app and please share your feedback with us.
Here are more details about the feature:

I’m trying to find a simple way to get a fastener to snap into a hole and be centered and have a lip underneath the object be flush with the top surface. The step file attached shows a fastener and a plate with a mating hole.

What is the best way to do this? I’ve looked on line and can’t find an example.

shapr3d_export_2020-06-03_08h19m.step (290.9 KB)

Greetings,
Use the Transform/Translate tool.

@Victor_Shapr3D, regarding Translate, is there an easy way to align the start and end point when it comes to using the center of diameter? For example, you have 2 different diameter hollow tubes and they are apart for whatever reason. You want to align (translate) one end to another as if preparing to slide one into another like a telescope. I find that I have to select the start point and end point and then go back to the start point and have it centered in the diameter hole, same for the end point. Do you follow what I mean?

Thanks, Mike

Victor,
Thanks for you reply. It took awhile to figure out that your method works as you have to adjust the view and rotation of the part to find the arc centre. Would this also work to align a rectangle part into a rectangle hole? You would pick the centre of both?

Appreciate your quick response. Stay safe and healthy.

Hi mhek,

It was I, Mike who replied to you. I’m asking Victor from Shapr3D to better explain aligning 2 diameters when using the Translate tool.

-Mike

Hi Mhek, you can use the Transform tool‘s Move/Rotate option.

Using the arrows move the surfaces closer to each other-
Tap on the bottom lip surface and then tap on the top surface you want it flushed with - the distance between both surfaces will be displayed at the bottom of the workspace.

Then using the Move/Rotate option arrow start dragging the objects together
The dimension label will be displayed
Tap on the dimension label and input the noted distance between the two surfaces.

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mike, it’s quite tricky.

I could suggest that you create a circle using the Offset tool at the hollow surfaces
Move the circle down the larger hollow tube at the translate distance you want

Then use the mid points of the circles as your reference for the start and end points.

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

Hi Victor,
Thank you for the response. Sometimes it is difficult to properly orient the start point and end point. In this example, the start point cannot be obtained until after I establish the end point. Then I have to go back to the start position and move the dot so that it snaps to the center of the cylinder. This also happens sometimes where one has to re-establish the end point. In my example it worked the first time. This is not a complaint but rather seeking a better way to establish the start and end points without having to go the extra step, that’s all. You are right, it can be quite tricky.

BTW, any news about what I posted elsewhere about the Color-Transparency bug? Is it in fact a bug?

Thanks and regards, Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for sending the video and I now better understand what you mean. I will share and escalate this with our product team as well.

Regarding the Color-transparency bug it seems like an issue assisociated with the iPad 2020 GPU and our development is looking into finding a way around this. Thanks for your patience.

Hi Victor,
Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is an interest in reducing the number of steps to do a specific task, but sometimes one may need to add a step or two.

Regarding Translate: Once you’ve selected the body (or bodies) to translate, one way is to select the start point and drag the Pencil to the end point. The other way is to select the start point first, then, if you have to move or pan, select the end point. This is where a problem can occur like with my initial example. If you don’t select the start point correctly, and same for the end point, many times you have to Cancel and start over. If you try to re-select the Start point after selecting the end point, it becomes the end point, etc, etc.

One way is to select the Start Point, then click Next (like with other tools) and then select the End Point. This allows you to go back and refine the selection if not correctly selected initially. Just a thought.

Also, thanks for the update regarding the Color/Tranparency issue.

Regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input.
After your initial request, I tested it out and the same happened for me so I totally see what you mean.
I will share this as well with our product team.

I sent you a follow-up email as regards the Color tool transparency bug. We are further looking into the issue.
Thanks!

Mike & Victor
Thank you both for helping me better understand the way Shapr3D aligns and fits objects together. Once you get the hang of it, it is really easy. You really have to have an understanding of all the tools and features and I am finding Shapr3D was a good investment for me. The rest of my team uses Solid Works and are amazed at how fast and easy I show them assemblies on my iPad while their customized workstations are still loading.
Thanks also for the great support that Shapr3D has, this is invaluable when learning.
Stay Safe
MHEK

1 Like