Can not rotate face

I can not rotate this face 45° as I did with the lower part and I dunno why.
I pulled up the first part of the block sketched a rectangle on top to be able to separate at specific height and then pulled up more. I can not rotate that marked face and I dont understand why.

and rotating it looks like this. The face gets demarked and nothing happens rotating.

What am I doing wrong please?

It looks like you’re trying to rotate a sketch. Hide the sketch then select the face to rotate.

1 Like

Thanks Mike, you are right but if I hide the sketch I can not select that face part. I though part of face selection happens by sketch? I would like to set a part of that face to 45°. To drill a hole I would sketch a circle and then intrude for example.

Draw a line, and not a closed sketch……go from the line

Draw the line then tap it then tap the face then put 45 then click check

Wont work either. I deleted all sketch planes and just drew a line on the face. It looks like this rotating the upper face around that line.

But yeah the sketch plane is rotated but why cant I select the face?

Isn’t this clearly a face selection?

Do it this way. Extrude the upper part by a ‘known’ amount. Rotate the face the offset the newly angled face by that ‘known’ amount.

1 Like

OK just wanted to write that extruding works. Is this a bug? That workaround will work fine Mike. Thanks.

No bug, not a workaround. You cannot select part of a face.

Drilling a circle is also part of face no? Extrude works but move not, with part of face? Extruded same part of face, move works again? Looks like a bug to me. Problem remains pushing the part back wont be exact as direct rotation would be. I can not push it back flush to zero. I move the piece forward 2mm its not pushing it back 2mm. Same with intrusion as moving. At least it should snap into place if this is the way to perform.

Sure could delete but that’s not precise either.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. Don’t mix faces with sketches. You can sketch on a face, like a circle. Then you can extrude that circle, when selected, outward or inward.

My example works. In this example I moved the new face out 0.1", did the rotate and moved it back 0.1". There is no snapping.

2 Likes

As that face is part of a solid object, so you cannot select and rotate it on its own.

Thanks Mike taking time to show me. Will retry as I got different numbers moving it back and could not.

Stephan what I don’t get is it works on a solid object if the hole face is chosen but not if it’s a part. Would interest me what the Programmers say to this.

1 Like

OK

2 Likes

I may be misunderstanding your request.
This is what happens when we try to rotate a face that is part of an object, ie an original object that a face has not been extruded as a new body.

Near the end of the clip, I selected the whole body and rotated it.
If I’ve misunderstood your question then I apologize in advance.

This is my problem. Second marked face should work as full face. I clearly marked a face not a sketch.

All you’ve done there is made a sketch and rotate it. You never made or extruded a new face to rotate.

2 Likes

I get it still strange extrude and other commands see that marked part as face and move/rotate does not but as sketch. I think move/rotate should handle that part as it does a full face. For moving a sketch you should mark the sketch lines not a surface. At least that came by personal intuition. You can move/rotate while in sketch mode you know at least on Mac.

You marked a sketch…
You may do two things in order to rotate the face over the sketch-line:

1 Like