Can Shapr make a Gyroid?

I’ve been at this for a few days trying to recreate this mesh gyroid or a similar gyroid as a solid body. I’d like to see if anybody else is up to the challenge and I would love to know how to do it if someone figures it out!

1 Like

Interesting challenge. Here is a short video of my slicer creating a gyroid infill. Hope this helps anyone here taking the challenge.
-Mike

1 Like

Thanks Mike,
I use the Prusa Slicer too. Thats where I learned about this structure and wanted to make the infill as a model.

Hi @Wdmccurdy, that’s what I call a challenge!
These shapes are usually the visualization of certain mathematical functions, they are quite complex to recreate with sketches and solids but it may not be impossible :smiley:

Anyway, if you only need the shape printed, you can set the roof, floor, and the wall thickness of your print to zero to print only the infill. Do you have any plans with the NURBS model of this shape?

1 Like

I think it’s impossible to build a real Gyroid with any traditional CAD system. The design tools that are able to produce such shapes are not based on boundary representation and parametric surfaces, but they are using a completely different technology, called implicit representation. One example is nTopology: https://ntopology.com/

1 Like

So update, It’s looking possible. I have an imperfect one made. I’m having an issue with lofting since I cant get it to make a sine wave with loft. Lofting likes to jump straight to its first surface then curve with a best fit line or something if you have more than 2 surfaces. I’ve got a few ideas I’m going to try today. I don’t think I can revolve around a curved line which I was hoping for since that could fix one of my lofting issues. @Istvan, I agree, think it might be impossible, at least to get a perfect one but I think I can get pretty close.

1 Like

I just got a giant bookshelf and I wanted to make a bookend with this shape to hold up my Math, Physics, and Comp Sci Books. Getting close to how i would like it. haha

6 Likes

Hi, I really want to know how to create a gyroid but the video is not available for now. Could you upload the video again by any chance? Thanks a lot!!