Can’t get substract work

Hey guys! Trying to create a nut and substract threading from the inside of the body, however when I am selecting needed object there is no “GO” (blue) button at all. Is that a bug or I am doing something wrong?

video: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

there seems to be a bug in this new subtract tool.
I can’t quite work out what you doing but maybe my work around for my problem might help.

I found that I also have situations where the tool won’t recognise that you have tapped on the part you want removed. it changes colour to purple but not the see through purple - just the normal part colour with a fine purple outline. And no Blue “Done” button.
Mine seems to happen if I am deleting part of an object that will leave a piece of the object floating unattached.
the workaround I have found is if I can chop the floating piece up into smaller bits first using a square and extrude through it then do it it seems to work.
Then go back and delete each of the floating bits seperately.
It’s a real pain but seems to work.

1 Like

@iamniks
There is nil bug as far as I am aware.
It is not absolutely clear from your clip, but possibly you are not clicking in the correct sequence?
The + [Plus] and - [Minus] are both showing up.

In the following a Nut is being Chamfered. Removal of a Thread from a Body follows a similar process:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6njVA78JXN-v1P9jD6NI3eCFmk2CcQM/view?usp=sharing

What is a ‘nil’ bug? Am familiar with brown, little, black, red and big bugs but not nil bugs…Thanks

Best,

Tommy

@tommyn
Dictionary.com says:

nothing; naught; zero:

As in NOT a bug? I assume.

Thanks,

Tommy

There is bit of a bug if the subtracting object protrudes out both ends. Shapr3D is aware, and are working on it.

@tommyn
As in ‘not a bug in my case’.

Same problem - oddly, when I turn on screen record, to document it, the subtract decides to work. But now, it won’t work again. (of course, I can’t share the video, as a new user…) There’s nothing obvious, or experimentable, that seems to make it work. Frustrating.

Hello, can you please make sure that the two bodies clearly intersect with each other? The bodies should intersect with each other to make the tool work. It can also happen that the tool was applied once, and Shapr3D was told to Keep All Bodies which means the subtracted and the original bodies will still be there and if you decide to reapply the subtract, it will fail because there may be no intersection.
For the possible issues regarding the tool please take a look at this article:

Oh, I have upgraded your profile, you should be able to upload pictures and videos :slight_smile: Please feel free to share your recording

1 Like

Hi! Thanks! I’ll try to attach. It’s frustrating. Why work with 90% of them, but not the last two?

and I’ll check out that article! Thanks

Oh, you are working with mesh files. That is an important detail

The editability of mesh models in a CAD software is really restricted. They are mostly used as a reference, nonetheless, we let our users apply Boolean tools on meshes. But they can easily fail, if:

• The mesh is not closed (mesh sheet)
  • Any of the polygons are not intersecting clearly with the cad model
  • An edge of the cad model is accidentally aligned with the edge of a polygon

You may have already experienced that moving the model you created in Shapr3D (the CAD model) results in successful operation, even if the movement was just a fragment of the unit you are working in. It is because with the tiny movement you may end up in that optimal state, when none of the above happens and the tool can succeed.

Aha! I believe solved one version of the “Subtract not working” problem. I was trying to remove material from my main model and could not get the “Done” button to appear. As it turns out, I had put radius edges on the bodies I was trying to subtract. The radius edges on the subtractor bodies could not be subtracted because it probably created a razor edge (a virtual near perfect point) on the main model. This might be a zero state. So I removed the radius edge on my subtractor bodies and then the subtract tool worked perfectly. After I had removed the subtractor bodies I then applied the desired radius edge on the main body. As a general rule, always apply your radius edges at the end - I have run into similar problems with sweep, revolve and other tools.