Cannot chamfer or fillet cam object

Oh yeah, i realize what your saying, that is why im asking you to download the file, I really think it would be helpful to me, and the forum community. Just wondering why you haven’t done so, thanks in advance…

@alpine Im not saying it isn’t a bug, and I’m not saying it is a workflow issue.
I am saying we don’t know, but we can hopefully help solve the issue.
This community tries to help when we can, if we have enough information to do so.
If you do not wish to upload the file, that is ok, but then there isn’t much we (the community) can do.

1 Like

My point in posting this bug wasn’t primarily to get help with it but instead to use that and the other problems I mentioned (see above) as examples of how Shapr3D isn’t fully refined. For perhaps better examples of that, with no excuses possible, see some of the other problems I mentioned above.

In this case, failing to round off the top edge for a minuscule extraneous line (inserted by Shapr3D — I didn’t create it) or whatever, as suggested by the Shapr3D representative, there should be an option to automatically delete anything blocking the chamfer/fillet function so it could proceed normally. There’s simply no reason for the program to get hung up on an extraneous tiny, invisible line or whatever.

To work around this bug, I created a new file, imported the cam shape, and traced its perimeter with the control spline tool, extruded that shape, and easily chamfered it. The only difference between that file and the original file that refuses to round over the edge highlighted in blue is that the outer perimeter in the first file wasn’t one continuous line but instead a combination of the control spline shape with a straight line connecting its ends. Why Shapr3D would refuse to round over the top edge in that case, and many others like it that I’ve encountered, is not logical or justifiable. In short, it’s a bug.

My ultimate goal in mentioning some of these problems is to incentivize Shapr3D to more quickly perfect this product and expand its capabilities. Considering how long Shapr3D has been around, I’m surprised that some very basic functions are missing (a spiral tool, for example).

Here’s another. If I zoom in to precisely trace a shape with the control spline function (for example) and scroll off the page, the active window should scroll with me, as CorelDRAW and other programs have for many years. Shapr3D lacks this basic functionality — or if it is included, it is off by default, hidden in some inscrutable place, and without any helpful user tips.

A truly smart program should be able to recognize what the user is doing or trying to accomplish, especially after several tries, and automatically implement missing functionality or at least provide a tip educating the user on how to do what needs to be done. Again, a usability expert could help Shapr3D engineers make this product much more impressive.

So your primary point was not to get help ( in the” need help? We are here” section of the Forum) ? But after reading your primary points i get more, and more interested in looking at the file so i can better understand where your coming from. If you need help understanding how to downloading the file, Shaper3d has really good search engine for learning how this can be accomplished. Looking forward to looking at the file, thanks in advance for downloading it.

I read every single post on this forum since it exists.

Alpine, I understand that you don’t like certain workflows in Shapr3D. The best way to contribute making Shapr3D bette, is to post a feature request in the Feature requests category. We release new versions every two weeks with new features and improvements.
Also, please note that Shapr3D supports certain workflows and it does not support some others. You can learn the best Shapr3D workflow practices from our tutorials on YouTube and on our website. Ans of course we have a helpful community here, it’s worth listening to their advice too.

If you read every forum post, why do various problems and feature omissions (e.g., lack of a spiral tool) persist year after year? Some of the problems I mentioned above should have been addressed long ago, because (as one of many examples) there is never any valid reason why size labels should appear off-screen, compelling users to resize the screen or scroll to see it.

If you read everything I wrote above, you will see that it isn’t plausible to blame something I did as a workflow error responsible for Shapr3D failing to chamfer or fillet the top edge highlighted in blue. I watched many Shapr3D tutorials, learned much from them, but after all that, I’ve seen nothing that even remotely hinted at ways to prevent or correct some of the problems I addressed in this thread and many others I could add.

Another problem I haven’t yet mentioned is that if I have a problem on Friday and contact tech support, it can be days until I receive a response. Many people, myself included, work 365 days per year. You presumably have enough staff so they could cover every day of the week.

Feature additions are welcomed but often don’t go far enough. For example, the ability to create linear or circular patterns is good, yet if Shapr3D bills itself as 3-D CAD, it should be able to (for example) quickly design a golf ball, complete with dimples in a defined pattern.

I think you and some of the Shapr3D fans are taking this too personally, reacting emotionally with defensiveness instead of calmly acknowledging that there are indeed multiple avenues to improve this product as much as possible as rapidly as possible. That’s my goal, and hopefully yours. However, when I look at very old Shapr3D problems that still persist, I wonder if you have the same burning desire to optimize Shapr3D as I do.

Repeating what Bill Gates said: “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.”

We are rapidly implementing new features, but we receive thousands of feature requests every month from the hundreds of thousands of users who use Shapr3D a month. Every 2 weeks we are adding more functionality.

Most likely our Customer Success Managers reached out to you. If they did not, let me know and they will. They can help you directly, and they are also happily hop on a call with you if you find the community unhelpful.

I understand, that you want 365 days of support. We might implement it in the future, but so far we did not see a significant need for it. But the community (and most often myself too) is here to help even during the weekend.

Sure, Shapr3D can’t do everything, and we also don’t aim to do everything - although we’re doing much more every 2 weeks. For designing golf balls Shapr3D is indeed not the right tool. It’s a great tool for certain fields of mechanical design, jigs and fixtures, tooling, conceptual industrial design, woodworking, jewellery design, product management and many more. And of course we should and will do more in the future.

I don’t know what others have in mind, but I’m happy to help if you get stuck somewhere.

Must users specifically request new features in the feature requests category? Or do staff reading other forum posts, such as this one, spot omissions and forward them to engineers to implement?

Alpine, after years of developing Shapr3D and the addition of the forum, the many of us early adopters have provided feedback to the Shapr3D team, and it has evolved into all feature requests being submitted through a dedicated feature request category. This allows all of us to explore the category to see if a suggestion has already been made or not. I for one, am not going to scroll through all the messages and categories to see if someone may have suggested an idea. Whereas I can go to the feature request page and see what has been requested. So if you wish to make a request, use the Feature Request category, so we all can see what’s been requested, and can augment or opine of the suggestion. And while you’re at it, let’s be polite. McD

1 Like

I am doing my best to prevent Shapr3D from succumbing to the same complacency that dooms various Microsoft products, such as Word, which includes problems that have persisted for well over a decade — perhaps two, by now. I’ve seen Shapr3D users report obvious problems and request features with little or no progress being made years later, and I wonder why.

Moreover, we shouldn’t have to point out many — arguably, any — omission or problem, all of which should be obvious to Shapr3D engineers and other staff. Unless they are operating on a shoestring budget (I doubt it), I don’t see any valid reason why some of the more glaring omissions and problems should persist for so long. I don’t know the origin of the problem (Complacency? Lack of respect for user’s time?), but when years go by and requested features are not implemented, and problems persist, there is indeed a problem, and forums are an appropriate venue to discuss it.

Few CEOs excel in their most basic function: to get the most from their employees. Most corporations do little or nothing to substantially amplify the baseline levels of intelligence, creativity, and productivity in their employees, perhaps clinging to antiquated ideas that it isn’t possible to significantly augment those facets of brainpower. Neuroscientists have proved otherwise, but this rarely filters down to CEOs and other executives. Some of the expedients to achieve that are remarkably easy to implement and return rapid results.

My point is this: @Istvan could do more to accelerate Shapr3D development. I am trying to put him and the Shapr3D staff in overdrive. That isn’t being rude; that is being the best friend they ever had. Again, recalling what Bill Gates said: “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” Especially when those unhappy customers know neuroscience. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Shapr3D’s development. We know it can be frustrating when certain issues or feature requests take a long time to address, and we appreciate you bringing them to our attention. We’re always working hard to improve Shapr3D and your feedback helps us to identify areas where we can make changes.

We understand your points, however, please know that the Shapr3D team is always working on new updates and we take user feedback very seriously. We understand the value of constructive criticism and strive to make Shapr3D the best it can be for our users.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and know that we always strive to be the best friend to our users, helping us to grow together and make Shapr3D better.