Can't add new sketch to revolved cylinder

One issue I’ve been running into, which I’m finding quite irksome is my inability to create a new sketch or a Construction plane off the end face of a revolved cylinder shape.

So I revolve a 2d rectangle around an axis to create a cylinder. This has a front face and a end face of the cylinder. I select new sketch, and I click the cylinder end face and am expecting the sketch tool to then attach to the end face. Instead it tells me NO can do… Fusion360 does this by default. I want this in Shapr3D.

I kind of find this incredibly restrictive. Please fix. Thanks

Hi Treefrog,
it works fine for me. I drew a rectangel and revolved it around an axis.
Then I double-tapped with one finger on the end face I want to draw on and the cylinder rotates automatically to a perpendicular view of the end face. Next you can sketch on it as usual. This works for an iPad, if you are on a Mac you must select the end face and press the spacebar to get the same.
BR
Franz

Hi Franz. That’s interesting. I’m on a Windows 10 machine with no touchscreen capabilities. I’m certainly hoping this is a bug. It seems it only allows us to create new sketches to faces that are in the extrude direction. If I say extruded a rectangle up and then say clicked the top face there’d be no problems. It works. Same too if I extruded a circle. Click either the front or rear face and you’re good. But this problem seems to occur because it’s on a different axis to that that the object was created around, if that makes sense. Which is annoying because the cylinder side has no face to attach to because it’s a constant curvature. I’m sure this will get sorted and very good to hear you can do it on the iPad. I’m envious as 90% of my work revolves around well… revolves :smile:

Hi Treefrog,
I do not have a Windows System, so I can only advise for iPad and Mac.
You can add a construction plane at the cylinderical face by using “parallel at face”.
First click on the cylinder face, click next and click on the point where you want to have the construction plane. You can then sketch on the plane and project your sketch onto the cylinder.

Hello, please provide the following details in a support ticket:

• A brief screen recording of the issue.
  • Your current version of Shapr3D.
  • The operating system version you’re using.

For submitting your support ticket, please use this link: Submit a Support Request. Thank you!

Thanks Franz - I’ll give it a whirl and let you know.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll submit something when I get a bit more time to play around with the software.