Can't Linear Pattern

Hi, I’ve created a solid body and trying to create a linear pattern to cut out of the body. Input the length and number of items and hit enter ( a few times) but the pattern disappears. As per the video.

Any advice?

Have you tired turning of the larger body’s visibility off to see if they are still there?

Thanks for your reply. I have, but no they just disappear. Also, I’m finding if I extrude that one sketch alone, it doesn’t cut, but creates a new body. I’m at a loss. I’m having to slowly create via copy new bodies and then cut through the body with subtract.

I must be doing something wrong.

It does work. Disconnect the hex sketch first.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t it automagically “disconnect” when doing a pattern? Seems like a bug to me. :joy:

I don’t even know what you mean by disconnect. :joy:

I sketched a circle with the center at a corner of the hex sketch. It is now connected to it.
Select the circle then select Disconnect to remove its connection from the hex.

thank you for the response. What does disconnect and connect actually do please?

This is my mental model that may or may not have actual correspondence with objective reality:

When the hex pattern is created, it’s internally defined in terms of how it relates to the larger body. Move your perspective outside that specific context and that definition has no meaning. <insert a lot of handwaving here because it’s not like I actually understand what’s going on>.

(Upon a re-reading I realized that the key point is that first point created. The clue is the circle with the dot: that means “this point exists only in relation to another, change may or may not be possible depending on what you’re trying to do.”)

By clicking “unconnect” you force the definition of the hex pattern to be “rewritten” from the global perspective. It now exists independently of the body and, thus, allows the sketch to directly act on the body (as desired).

I can’t stress enough that this is just what my internal monolog came up with when confronted with something similar and so far it’s prevented me from manually removing what little hair I have left on my head. Any correspondence to what’s actually going on is a happy accident.

1 Like

I love this explanation. Thank you.