Dimensioned drawings - Tell us how you need it

I did try that way at first just to play around and that is how I noticed you cannot add a rectangle and then move that rectangle a desired distance from the edge. If the parts are not separate then it really is no use to actually build the shelf. Don’t get me wrong I like the ability to model on my iPad and Shapr3D is the best on iPad so far but unfortunately as you say it’s just fun and games for now.

@Jel111
S3D is very versatile and offers a result when you have discovered the appropriate Features to use.
My point regarding ‘fun and games’ is my take on using S3D, IMO it does a lot of the hard work leaving me to enjoy the fun and games.

In the following the 1M x 1M x 300mm Deep Carcass is created using 20mm Thick Material, the 6 pieces are separate. There are many other ways to obtain a similar result with S3D:

1. Sketch the Outside, Length and Width Rectangle, of the Carcass.
    Then use Sketch > Offset Edge choose the Loop Option to form an Inner Rectangle.
    Pull Up this Rectangle to 20mm Thickness, Type in to correct if necessary.
  2. Extend appropriate Inner Lines, these form some of the 6 separate pieces in this Design:

1. Note appropriate Inner Lines have been extended.
  2. Select the Inner Rectangle and pull it up 20mm ensuring that the New Body Option is chosen:

5 + 6. Pull Up the 4 Outer Panels, one at a time to 300mm, checking the correct Option is chosen each time.

1. Tap with your Finger on the Back Panel Inner Face to present a Grid to Sketch the Shelf.
    If you have difficulty drawing a Line ‘on Grid’ zoom in and draw 2 short Lines. then select the end and drag it as required. With Snaps Switched On it should attach appropriately.
    Pull the Shelf Up 280mm.
  2. This is the result of Exporting as an Image:

3 Likes

WOW! Thanks for taking so much time to spell it out for me. I see where I went wrong. I model a whole different way and am used to a different program. I guess I’ll have to change my mindset if I want to use this. I still do think that being allowed to do things with a more dimensioned based approach would be a benefit for Shapr. Hey, prolly not, what do I know I’m just a guy on the internet.

@Jel111
Please remember that the MO described is only one way of completing this task.

IMO you actually did NOT do something wrong, just a case of old habits dying hard.
Rest assured you are not alone, many new Users crave Features they have used in other Software before trying/testing S3D’s offerings.

The input was intended to inform and show something undiscovered. Importantly you were able to understand the input. That is pleasing news for me.
Detail is important to reach out to as many Forum Members as possible.

@Istvan may appreciate:

Hopefully the phrase begin, the rest is easy will prove true and you will be able to tackle any S3D task that comes your way :sunglasses:

3 Likes

So I’m a couple weeks new to ANY type of CAD software, so bear with me.

My father used an older piece of desktop CAD software, there’s no updates so we moved to Shapr 3D as our first choice, looking at others as well, but already love the modeling ability of this software.

I think we have a unique need, as a custom booth designer - perhaps in the future we will work on modeling our chairs, but we started easy.

I like having the colors we used as an option, but I understand that’s not required, everyone else’s looks quite good! I guess if there was a way to export the views as DXF, then have the option to add the dimensions you want at that point, add to a sketch sheet even, OR even make your dimensions (different type of plane specific for dimensions), then pick and choose which to show as you “take” your picture, maybe?

Hi @eaglekatarina Welcome to the Forum.
You may be interested in these currently available possibilities [?]:

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/dimensions-left-on/8791

Happy S3Ding.

1 Like

I’m a hobbyist woodworker whose been using Sketchup for some time. I recently got an iPad and started using Shapr and love almost everything about it; it’s so fluid and intuitive, and I don’t have to sit in front of a computer to sketch.

I came across this thread while googling for how to show all dimensions on my drawing and either print or export then print. I need to be able to print out a complete, dimensioned drawing, or to view all dimensions at the same time on-screen, and take that to the shop with me.

I was excited to read that it’s coming… any ETA on this feature? It’s definitely the thing that would make me consider using the paid version. Without this ability, it’s 100% a deal breaker for me, and it’s back to sitting at a desk to draw furniture.

1 Like

We are very actively working on it. Early next year probably. We are already testing it. I think @DanielR would be happy to do a usability test with you? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Amazing! I received an email form Peter, I believe, and replied. I’d love to help out with testing and am looking forward to this feature. Appreciate the response.

1 Like

It can be pretty simple, as far as I’m concerned. Any dimensioned drawing I am going to import into InDesign or some other layout app to add text, embellishments etc.

There should be a dimensioning/rendering tool that allows you to display multiple dimensions and leader lines with the same ability it has now to move the actual position of the numeric field for clarity.

You should be able to select any of the orthogonal views, as well as any of the angled views in true isometric- and the ability to pick a perspective view you can set using the normal camera motions and settings.

You should then be able to not only just click on the lines you want dimensioned showing the normal dimension graphics but for multiple selections, but you should also be able to employ a measurement tool to derive certain measures- For example, the center point of an arc or circle might be projected to a face or a plane, with measures to the edges of the face so a mill operator could readily locate a radius center on an object or on a plane being some distance from an object edge.

You should also be able to invoke a measurement at any point on a surface that is normal to the surface thru the body to the opposite side of the body… or a measurement thru a body that is normal to one of the three Cartesian planes.

And a tool for measuring point to point- with snaps to endpoints, midpoints, face centers or body centrics.

On export, the drawing should have the options for shaded, or simple line rendering with leaders and dimension lines clearly delineated from the model lines. As well as the option for hidden edges to be visible. It should be able to export as a high resolution PNG or similar bitmapped graphic… and have the option to be exported as a DWG or an illustrator vector file.

A separate but equally useful feature would be the ability to lay out an assembly on a flat plane with dimensions listed… either as a scaled drawing, or even at full scale for printing on a plotter- or even for export to a CNC router or waterjet.
For example- I use this app sometimes to design furniture, or metal fabrications that are made from standard flat materials like 2x10 boards, cutouts of plywood, or flat sheets of metal.
It would be great if I could select an assembly and click on a tool that would open a copy of the model file but re-position all the model bodies on a single plane with their largest surface Coplanar to the plane, and their longest dimensions parallel to one another.
e.g.- say i design a bookcase made out of lumber of various sizes… clicking this tool would open a copy of the file but lay out all the cut pieces of lumber flat and with all their long dimensions running the same direction. It would show all the lengths and widths and label the thickness of each part along with its name On the outline for each part. I could see any rabbets or mortises or other features I had modeled, and clicking on any of these features would display their dimensions.
I could then use this drawing as a cut list for actually making all the parts- or I could export a version of the file to a CNC router to cut all the pieces out of, say plywood, or to a waterjet or plasma cutter for sheet metal.

4 Likes

I wasn’t going to reply because I didn’t want to make thread longer but then decided maybe you were using this for a gauge of interest. I also very much need this for reasons mentioned above.

Not all parts are 3D printed or sent to people with CAD systems. They just need a drawing of the dimensions and they make the part off the drawing. So being able to print a drawing would be awesome.

Glenn

1 Like

@Sculptingman, this is awesome feedback, thank you.

@Cybercrypt13 of course, this is a top priority. We allocated a lot of engineering and product resources on this to ship is as fast as possible. It’s just that until now we were mostly focusing on polishing the design flow.

1 Like

I am a new user having purchased a few months ago but just now beginning to use it, starting with your tutorials. I am so impressed with what you have created!

3 Likes

I’m so glad to know that you are working on this functionality! I was waiting for it since 2019. I’m using free app now, but will definitely consider switching to paid plan once you release updates. I was planning to use S3D for my amateur woodworking projects. It is vital to see dimensions on final step, when you export plans, prepare cutting list etc. Many people already mentioned it here, so won’t repeat it.

PS. My main speciality is mobile apps development and I would like to help you with beta testing. So if you need some help or feedback just let me know.

2 Likes

This is a woodworking project. You mentioned dimensioned things in a 2d format,
. I have each of the pieces of this broken down in to the actual final cut of what it would be. For my purposes, if I could have the program outline each body (piece) in a rectangle/square for the outer constraints of each piece (to show what size board is needed to cut that from), and then give the angle and/or degree of arc that you would then cut the final piece from that initial square/rectangle as you would in real life. So for example to try and make sure I’m explaining myself, the top of the cubby here would need to be cut from a 60 inch by 26 inch piece of stock. Then 10 inches from the edge I would need to measure a 40 inch line to then cut a 129 degree angle from on both sides which would have an arc drawn on the board to cut with a 36.76 inch string line from the center point of reference. As you can see I can figure all this out. But a stream lined way is needed.

a

2 Likes

So glad to see that printed and dimensioned drawings are coming soon. I work in entertainment and have been teaching/using Vectorworks for 12 years. Printed dimensioned drawings are a must a certain times. I am strongly considering developing an introductory CAD class around Shapr3D and this would put me over the top!

I do like the way Vectorworks handles viewports, sheet layers, and annotations. This may be way beyond the roadmap but I would strongly suggest looking at Vectorworks in this regard and if you can make anything like that then I am all in!!!

I am a huge XR supporter (I can’t overstate how bullish I am on XR) but 2D paper drawings will always be precious and used often when it’s the right tool for the job.

Thank you! You have a beautiful product. Truly groundbreaking in so many ways!

5 Likes

Dimensions in AR exports would be fantastic!

If dimensions of the 3D model rather than single sketch planes can be implemented, it would be great if that could be exported with the augmented reality models.

I’m not sure if the file type would allow for this, but if as you move around the model in AR the dimensions could become more detailed as you get closer then that could be game changing.

As a way of communicating a design for construction having a fully dimensioned AR model with pop up notes could replace construction drawings in my opinion.

If the AR model was interactive (exploded views, mechanical movements of parts, etc) that would be next level amazing.

Does this sound useful to anyone else?

Any ETA on 2D/3D engineering drawings?? It would be nice to convert solid body in to a drawing with section view and specify certain measurements.

stares with a meaningful expression on his face

I can’t tell you anything, but… Very soon… WINK WINK

4 Likes

@Istvan
First I have to salute you for creating this brilliant app. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I signed up for PRO yesterday thinking a proper drawing functionality was already in.
When can i expect to get this?

2 Likes