Dimensioned drawings - Tell us how you need it

Dear Shapr3D users!

We’ve been getting a lot of request for dimensioned drawings, where you could export blueprint-like 2D drawings of your 3D models with selectively added dimensions.

We want to make such feature best suit your needs, so please…

1. Describe your ideal workflow and WHY you would need it to work in a certain way
  2. Post here sample dimensions drawings that would suffice your needs

Thanks,

Peter at Shapr3D

Export available for furniture production firm

http://www.cityofcamarillo.org/Building%20Safety%20Handouts/b250%20res%20plan%20req.pdf

Link above gives samples of typical and basic dimensioning. As you can see there is a lot of text. I will be taking my Shapr design to this format over the next few weeks. May have to purchase ArcSite or Graphics (Indeeo). Will advise…

Best,

Tommy

Hi Peter,

For now I use Shapr mainly for constructing ‘one time’ models for 3D printing (prototyping) and for designing objects that have to build in the real world in a workshop. That’s where dimensions come into play.

When constructing an object, I use many small draft sketches to get the final result. I don’t need every dimension to show uo when the end version of the object is finished. So it would be nice to have dimensioning layers, just like the object layers or sketch layers, that you can turn on or off. That way it would be easy to control what you can ‘print’ in dimensions. It would be nice to be able to show the object from every 3D angle with the chosen dimension layers, not only in a ‘plain 2D’ view. May be it’s possible to add a switch to every ‘normal’ and construction plane to show or hide dimensions.

Hope this will help, I don’t have any examples for you, we have to keep our designs ‘non published’.
Hope this gives you an idea of what would be nice, if you have any questions, please let me know!

Hans

I produce a lot of multi-angled, highly detailed 3D drawings. Ideally, a way to export to a dimensioned diagram showing all angles and dimensions maybe based on the view (angle) of the current screenshot. Maybe a feature that would allow you to select the view in S3D, then select from the menu to “export current view to a dimensioned drawing” where that angle would be exported to PDF, etc. including dimensions of all sides of the item in the current view.

I want to do something like this.
Choose the dimension I want.
I guess another person ask for this.

Samberino

I tried this and it’s ok for me. But I only get one measure at a time.
Nice to get the three dimensions on one screenshot.

The best one is CATIA dimensioning. I just suggest to follow that

For me it would be nice to have the dimensions on the sketch planes, you can switch them on and off according to your needs. Maybe an extra tick box in the groups window to show or hide dimensions of a sketch group would make it even more comfortable.

Which brings me to another question: how about a ‘note’ option, to add specific notes to an object or a group of objects? Could use it for instructions for the maker, reminders for the developer or extra ‘roughness’ notes to dimensions.

I love your app specifically because it bridges the gap for what I used to like SketchUp for and is as intuitive or more on the iPad. SketchUp went web-based making the free plugins useless. Fusion360 is a nightmare for me to do simple things for my 3D printer and…woodworking. The latter is where being able to make myself:

• Step-by-step plans which I can print out (keep the iPad out of the dusty shop).
  • create “cut sheets” to help me setup my cuts of wood to maximize materials and minimize waste.
  • Publish plans for others.

Keep up the good work!

I’m a magician. From time to time I design props, and then send the drawings to local businesses to fabricate them, such as tapplastics.com. They cannot read 3d files, and just work from drawings, which if course need to be annotated. I’m a new user, so I cannot upload the pictures I annotated by hand. :frowning:

I generate profile drawings for woodworking tools. Has been in 2D CAD till now. Trying to use S3D now.

Most drawings are for customer approval of the profile dimensions, and also for the factory to use for the tooling drawings.

So for the customer approval basic linear, radius dimensions on a sketch plane would suffice as a .pdf or screenshot. I could export the full file in any of the available formats for the factory to use.

Future .dxf or .dwg import/export would be very useful as many of my clients are supplying .dxf/.dwg prints for door and window parts.

I just need the dimensions I can see during the sketching on the printed out paper or on the screenshot I am not able to make a screenshot with them on it

Hi, I am doing 3D designs for 3D printing. So for not I need X,Y &Z dimensions that I can edit easily. Just look a UMake IOS app for what I am looking for. Currently I have a design done except for changing the dimensions to fit my project. I know that I probably should have dimensioned the 2D drawings first but that’s not how I work. I tried using the black dimension number at the bottom but I can’t figure out how to use them. I don’t see any way to change the dimensions using these numbers. It seems that some parts of my design I can change and other parts I can’t change. I think I have to select a plan in order to adjust the dimensions, I Think. In UMake you can change the dimensions in 3D space, pretty darn easy to perform.

John